Los Angeles Daily News(Redirected from Daily News of Los Angeles)
The Los Angeles Daily News is the second-largest-circulating paid daily newspaper of Los Angeles, California. It is the flagship of the Southern California News Group, a branch of Colorado-based Digital First Media.
|Owner(s)||Digital First Media|
(as the Van Nuys Call)
|Headquarters||21860 Burbank Blvd. #200|
Woodland Hills, California 91367
The offices of the Daily News are in Woodland Hills, and much of the paper's reporting is targeted toward readers in the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles. Its stories tend to focus on issues involving valley businesses, education, and crime.
The current editor is Frank Pine.
The Daily News began publication in Van Nuys as the Van Nuys Call in 1911, morphing into the Van Nuys News after a merger with a competing newspaper called the News. In 1953, the newspaper was renamed the Van Nuys News and Valley Green Sheet. During this period, the newspaper was delivered four times a week for free to readers in 14 zoned editions in the San Fernando Valley.
In 1971, the newspaper was sold to the Tribune Company by the original family owners. In 1976, to de-emphasize the Van Nuys location, the paper changed its name to the Valley News and Green Sheet, and gradually converted from the four times a week operation to a daily newspaper with paid circulation. During this period, circulation increased to 210,000.
In 1981, the paper changed its name to the Daily News of Los Angeles and became a daily publication. In 1985, Tribune bought KTLA, and due to ownership laws of the time, Tribune sold the paper to Jack Kent Cooke, who spent millions of dollars building state of the art offices and expanding coverage to include the entire San Fernando Valley.
When the Los Angeles Herald-Examiner went out of business November 2, 1989, it left the Daily News the second-biggest paper in the city behind the Los Angeles Times. Upon Cooke's death in 1998, William Dean Singleton's MediaNews purchased the newspaper and consolidated it with his other Southern California MediaNews holdings into the Los Angeles Newspaper Group.
The group briefly published local editions for the Antelope Valley, Santa Clarita and Ventura County. However, to cut costs and consolidate resources, the local editions were eliminated. As part of circulation reporting for the Southern California News Group, all papers in LANG are considered editions of the Daily News.
- "Total Circ for US Newspapers". Alliance for Audited Media. September 2014. Archived from the original on March 6, 2013. Retrieved June 11, 2015.
- "Daily News - Contacts". Los Angeles Daily News. Southern California News Group. Archived from the original on 2008-06-02. Retrieved 2008-06-10.
- Pitt, Dale (2000). Los Angeles A to Z. Berkeley, California: University of California Press. p. 109. ISBN 978-0-520-20530-7. OCLC 248510988.
- Kaye, Ron. "Who Better to Kill a Newspaper Than a Journalistic Mortician: The Ed Moss Story". Ron Kaye (blog). Archived from the original on 19 January 2016. Retrieved 23 June 2015.
- Roberts, Gene; Kunkel, Thomas; Layton, Charles, eds. (2001). Leaving Readers Behind: The Age of Corporate Newspapering. Fayetteville: University of Arkansas Press. ISBN 1610752325.
- Roderick, Kevin (April 1, 2013). "Al Martinez pens final column for changing Daily News". LA Observed. Retrieved 23 June 2015.
- "Barack Obama for president". Los Angeles Daily News. Archived from the original on 28 June 2011. Retrieved 23 June 2015.
- "Los Angeles News Group Endorsement: Mitt Romney for president". Los Angeles Daily News. Archived from the original on 20 April 2013. Retrieved 23 June 2015.
- "Los Angeles daily news". Los Angeles Public Library L2PAC Catalog.
- "Old Relics Unearthed", Los Angeles Herald, February 29, 1896, image 6
- Official website
- Daily News Mobile app — headlines only.
- Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection: Valley Times Newspaper Collection (1946−1965) — 82,000 images, 28,000 digitalized/online.
- UCLA Library Digital Collections: Changing Times: Los Angeles in Photographs
- UCLA Library Digital Collections: Los Angeles Daily News Negatives
- Newsbank.com: Archives (paywall)