Daily Hive, formerly known as Vancity Buzz, is an online newspaper in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. It began digital publishing in 2008 and became Western Canada's largest online-only publication by 2016.
|Headquarters||Vancouver, British Columbia|
|Calgary, Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver|
|Brands||Daily Hive, Dished, Urbanized, Grow, Colony Digital, ID Agency, Mapped|
|Owners||Manny Bahia, Karm Sumal, Farhan Mohamed|
Number of employees
The site began its publishing in 2008 under the name Vancity Buzz and was founded by Manny Bahia, Karm Sumal and Farhan Mohamed. The name was changed to Daily Hive in 2016 when the company expanded nationally.
In November 2017 Daily Hive deleted many of their posts on their official Instagram account as a form of viral marketing, inspired by Taylor Swift's similar publicity stunt earlier in the year. They then posted images of the word "Nude". This stunt caused growth in their social media presence and gained them more followers than before. That same month Vancouver Magazine ranked Bahia, Sumal and Mohamed together as among the 50 most powerful people in Vancouver, stating that Daily Hive was an influence on many millennials.
In February 2019, Daily Hive acquired Torontoist, a long-running web publication that formerly offered similar coverage of Toronto. Originally established in 2004 as part of the Gothamist network of city-specific news websites, Torontoist was a property of St. Joseph Media from 2011 until its acquisition by Daily Hive. It no longer publishes original content as a separate entity from Daily Hive.
Criticisms and controversiesEdit
- Dished – Food
- Urbanized – Real estate
- Grow – Cannabis
- Colony Digital – Digital marketing agency
- ID Agency – Influencer agency
- Mapped – Travel
- "Vancity Buzz spreads wings and rebrands; Regional web publication now 'Daily Hive'". National Post, June 1, 2016.
- Powell, Chris (June 1, 2016). "Vancity Buzz launches in Toronto and Montreal". Marketing. Archived from the original on 2017-08-19. Retrieved August 19, 2017.
- Jackson, Emily (June 1, 2016). "Western Canada's Vancity Buzz expands nationally, rebrands to Daily Hive". Financial Post. Archived from the original on 2017-08-19. Retrieved August 19, 2017.
- "Vancity Buzz announces expansion plans to Toronto, Montreal". BC Business. June 1, 2016. Archived from the original on 2017-08-19. Retrieved August 19, 2017.
- "The Daily Hive’s unconventional new Instagram ads". Media in Canada, December 1, 2017.
- "The 50 Most Powerful People in Vancouver Right Now". Vancouver Magazine, November 20, 2017.
- "Torontoist flies to the Daily Hive". Media in Canada, February 7, 2019.
- "Torontoist website gets reprieve". The Globe and Mail, December 4, 2008.
- "Torontoist bought by magazine company". The Globe and Mail. March 14, 2011.
- "Vancity Buzz wants to be better". Canadaland. October 7, 2015. Retrieved March 20, 2019.
- "Mohammed Sharaz reveals why his group took photos that aroused Vancouver suspicions". CBC News. January 15, 2016. Retrieved March 20, 2019.