The Daily Examiner
The Daily Examiner is a daily newspaper serving Grafton, New South Wales, Australia. The newspaper is owned by APN News & Media. At various times the newspaper was known as The Clarence and Richmond Examiner and New England Advertiser (1859–1889) and Clarence and Richmond Examiner (1889–1915).
|Headquarters||Grafton, New South Wales, Australia|
55 Fitzroy St
The circulation of The Daily Examiner is 5,571 Monday to Friday and 6,446 on Saturday.
A major redesign of The Daily Examiner was highly commended in the PANPA 2002 Newspaper of the Year Awards for dailies and Sundays up to 20,000. The Daily Examiner was also awarded PANPA Newspaper of the Year 0 to 20,000 copies in 2009 for Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific and 2010 APN Newspaper of the year
The Daily Examiner website is part of the APN Regional News Network.
The Clarence and Richmond Examiner was ostensibly launched in 1859 by William Edward Vincent. However, the power behind the throne was wealthy politician Clark Irving, an advocate of the separation of the Northern Rivers from the colony of New South Wales.
Grafton generally had three or more newspapers from 1874 into the new century when the tri-weekly Clarence and Richmond Examiner was converted into a daily on 1 July 1915, "to keep public issues constantly before the minds of the people".
Grafton has had a succession of long-serving editors who won renown for their editorial leadership in community affairs, most notably Cecil Bush Bailey (1886–1944), William Bailey-Tart (1944–1960) and John Irvine Moorhead (1960–1977).
Grafton surgeon Earle Page, later a caretaker Prime Minister, was a major boardroom influence on The Examiner as it continued to champion the New England New State proposal, a hydro-electric scheme on the Nymboida River, and a deep-sea port plan for Iluka.
Editors who have had the stewardship of the paper in the era of modern technological advancement include Geoff Orchison, Robert Milne and Peter Ellem, who has campaigned for a second Grafton bridge crossing, an ambulance station/health clinic in Yamba, and improvements to the Pacific Highway.
- Audit Bureau of Circulations (ABC). Average Net Paid Sales for October–December 2008 (metro and larger regional titles)/January–June 2008 (other regional titles).
- About us, The Daily Examiner. Accessed 22 March 2009.
- Contact us, The Daily Examiner. Accessed 22 March 2009.
- Coleridge, Kathleen A. "William Edward Vincent". Dictionary of New Zealand Biography. Ministry for Culture and Heritage. Retrieved 13 February 2018.
- "Clarence and Richmond Examiner". Trove newspaper digitisation project. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- "Newspaper Digitisation Program". National Library of Australia. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- Brown, Jerelynn (2011). "Tabloids in the State Library of NSW collection: A reflection of life in Australia". Australian Journal of Communication. 38 (2): 107–121.