Location of Dahlgren in Hamilton County, Illinois.
Location of Illinois in the United States
|• Type||Village President (Mayor) and Board of Trustees|
|• Mayor||Steve Wilkerson (2013)|
|• Board of Trustees||Frank Elliot (2015)
Jasper C. Goin, Jr. (2013)
Steve Drenner (2015 interim 2 yr appointment)
Amy Anselment (2015)
Brandon Reyling (2013)
David Wicks, Jr. (2015)
|• Total||1.00 sq mi (2.58 km2)|
|• Land||1.00 sq mi (2.58 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|Highest elevation||515 feet (157 m) ft (Formatting error: invalid input when rounding m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||497|
|• Density||499.00/sq mi (192.59/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Wikimedia Commons||Dahlgren, Illinois|
Dahlgren is located in northwestern Hamilton County at  The mean elevation of the village is 510 feet (155.5 m). Illinois Route 142 passes through the village, leading southeast 11 miles (18 km) to McLeansboro, the county seat, and northwest 15 miles (24 km) to Mount Vernon.(38.199117, -88.685737).
According to the 2010 census, Dahlgren has a total area of 1 square mile (2.59 km2), all land.
Dahlgren had its start in 1870 when the railroad was extended to that point. The village was named for John A. Dahlgren (1809–1870), a U.S. Navy officer. A post office has been in operation at Dahlgren since 1871.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 525 people, 211 households, and 140 families residing in the village. The population density was 526.92 people per square mile (198.5/km²). There were 242 occupied housing units at an average density of 244.1 per square mile (94.6/km²). There are 31 unoccupied units. The racial makeup of the village was 96% White, 2.5% Black, and 1.5% Hispanic or Latino.
There were 211 households out of which 30.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.6% were married couples living together, 30.33% were a single-person households, and 23.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.49 and the average family size was 3.08.
In the village, the population was spread out with 20.5% under the age of 15, 11.24% from 15 to 24, 23.24% from 25 to 44, 28.57% from 45 to 64, and 16.57% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39.3 years. For every 100 females, there were 91.6 males. There were 435 persons age 15 or older.
The median income for a household in the village was $32,734, and the median income for a family was $34,886. Males had a median income of $35,313 versus $21,071 for females. The per capita income for the village was $16,944. About 8.39% of families and 15.29% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.3% of those under age 18 and 26.2% of those age 65 or over.
Commerce and transportationEdit
Agriculture remains the primary economic activity in the vicinity of Dahlgren. Other business activity includes retail sales and manufacturing, including the fabrication of custom cabinetry and countertops.
Dahlgren is located on Illinois Route 142 (formerly U.S. Route 460). The nearest access to the interstate highway system (I-64) is 6.5 miles (10.5 km) to the northwest. The Evansville Western Railway (EVWR) (formerly CSX Transportation) provides freight rail service to Dahlgren. CSX divested 120 miles (200 km) of rail line from Evansville, Indiana, to Okawville, Illinois, to the Paducah and Louisville Railway (PAL), an operating entity of Four Rivers Transportation, Inc., in a transaction whereby CSX sold all track, ties and track equipment to PAL and provided a 20-year lease on the right-of-way. Upon completion of the sale on 31 December 2005, PAL transferred all interests to the new Class III operating entity/subsidiary, EVWR, which began operating on 1 January 2006. CSX (formerly the Louisville & Nashville R.R.) retains title to all real estate on which the railroad is situated.
Dahlgren has no passenger services. The nearest airports providing service are Marion Williamson County Regional Airport (MWA), Evansville Dress Regional Airport (EVV) and Lambert-Saint Louis International Airport (STL). The nearest passenger rail connection (Amtrak) is in Centralia, Illinois. Interstate bus service is available in Mount Vernon, Illinois, 15 miles (24 km) to the northwest.
Media and communicationEdit
The Dahlgren post office provides service to customers in the 62828 postal (ZIP) code. Dahlgren has had no locally published newspaper since the cessation of publication of The Dahlgren Echo many years ago. The current newspaper of record is The McLeansboro Times-Leader, published weekly in the county seat. Area daily newspapers available for home delivery include The Morning Sentinel (Centralia & Mt. Vernon) and the Mt. Vernon Register-News.
Dahlgren is in the Harrisburg, IL / Cape Girardeau, MO / Paducah, KY television Designated Market Area (DMA), currently the 78th largest television market as defined by Nielsen Media Research. Residents receive over-the-air reception of the following digital broadcast channels from network affiliates:
- ABC (WSIL) — 3.1 HD & 3.2 SD — RF channel 34
- NBC (WPSD) — 6.1 HD, 6.2 SD, 6.3 WX & 6.4 SD (KBSI early news feed/color bars) — RF channel 32
- PBS (WSIU) — 8.1 HD, 8.2 PBS World, 8.3 Create & 8.4 FM Simulcast & Public Info — RF channel 8
- CBS (KFVS) — 12.1 HD, 12.2 The CW (WQWQ) & 12.3 WX — RF channel 12
- 3ABN (W15BU-D) — 15.1 SD English, 15.2 SD Spanish, 15.3 3ABN Radio, & 15.4 Radio 74 — RF channel 15
- PBS (WUSI) — 16.1 HD, 16.2 PBS World, 16.3 Create & 16.4 FM Simulcast & Public Info — RF channel 19
- Fox (KBSI) — 23.1 HD & 23.2 My49 (WDKA) — RF channel 22
- TCT (WTCT) — 27.1 SD, 27.2 HD & 27.3 SD — RF channel 17
- MyNetworkTV (WDKA) — 49.1 SD — RF channel 49
- TCN - 49.3 HD
Sinclair Broadcast Group owned both the Fox and WB affiliates in the DMA prior to the September 2006 merger of UPN and WB into a newly created CW Network and was forced by Fox to convert its WB affiliate (WDKA) into a MyNetworkTV affiliate (MY49) . This allowed Raycom Media, owner of the local CBS and UPN affiliates, to convert its UPN affiliation (WQWQ) to The CW. WQWQ is a low-power station whose analog signal was never available over the air in Dahlgren; however, it is available as ATSC digital channel 12.2. With the digital TV transition RTV, formerly ion Television/PAX, (WPXS) moved its transmitter northwest of Breese, IL in the St. Louis, MO DMA and is no longer easily available over-the-air in Dahlgren. Viewers with a rotator and suitably elevated antenna can also receive virtually all over-the-air broadcasts from Evansville, Indiana.
Cable television service (analog), previously available from Longview Communication, was terminated in 2006. Hamilton County Communications (a wholly controlled subsidiary of the Hamilton County Telephone Cooperative) purchased the cable-operating rights from Longview in 2006 although it is unclear whether they will be able to operate a cable system under current FCC rules. HCC distribute digital TV using broadband internet.
Wireless telephony services are provided by ATT Mobile, formerly Cingular, (GSM850/GSM1900), T-Mobile (GSM1900), AllTel, formerly First Cellular of Southern Illinois, (now CDMA-only although legacy GSM850 service still operates), Verizon (CDMA), Nextel Partners (iDEN), and Sprint PCS (CDMA). In 2008 Verizon announced its intention to acquire AllTel. The US Dept. of Justice and FCC approved the merger on Oct. 30th and Nov. 4th, 2008 respectively. Conditions of the deal require Verizon to divest itself of some 100 markets across 22 states, of which one is the Mt. Vernon/Marion cellular marketing area (CMA) in which Dahlgren is located.
Local telephone and DSL service is available through the Hamilton County Telephone Cooperative (Hamilton County Communications). Wireless broadband service is provided by AllTel (EVDO Rev. A) and Verizon (EVDO Rev. A). Broadband by satellite service is available from Wild Blue and HughesNet.
Government and schoolsEdit
Dahlgren is governed by a non-partisan Village President (Mayor) and six-member non-partisan Board of Trustees half of whom are elected to staggered 4-year terms in odd-numbered years. Steve Wilkerson was elected village president in 2013. The village provides basic utility services including water, sewer, and gas and contracts on a fee-for-service basis with a third-party for refuse removal.
Dahlgren is located within the Hamilton County Unit 10 school district. Elementary-age children attend Dahlgren Grade School through grade 6. Junior High School and High School students travel to the county seat of McLeansboro where a new combined school complex was completed in 2001. Dahlgren is also in Community College District #521 (Rend Lake College located Ina, Illinois) as established by the Illinois Board of Higher Education. However, university and college-age students are not restricted to attending in their local district.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jun 29, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Dahlgren village, Illinois". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "G001 - Geographic Identifiers - 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2015-08-02.
- Callary, Edward (29 September 2008). Place Names of Illinois. University of Illinois Press. p. 85. ISBN 978-0-252-09070-7.
- Stewart, William (28 September 2009). Admirals of the World: A Biographical Dictionary, 1500 to the Present. McFarland. p. 90. ISBN 978-0-7864-3809-9.
- "Hamilton County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- US Department of Justice, "Press Release: Justice Department Requires Divestitures in Verizon’s Acquisition of Alltel." October 30, 2008. Retrieved November 15, 2008.
- Federal Communications Commission, "Press Release: FCC APPROVES, WITH CONDITIONS, VERIZON WIRELESS-ALLTEL TRANSACTION." November 4, 2008. Retrieved November 15, 2008.
- Dahn, Kallan, "Alltel and Verizon Divestiture Map, and Future Coverage." July 26, 2008. Retrieved November 15, 2008.
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- History of Dahlgren
- McLeansboro Times-Leader
- Mt. Vernon Register-News
- Centralia Sentinel/Mt. Vernon Sentinel
- Williamson County Regional Airport
- Evansville Western Railway
- Paducah & Louisville Railway
- Hamilton County Communications
- Hamilton County Unit 10 Schools
- Hamilton County Historical Society
- Rend Lake College