DR & AJU Law Group LLC is a Korea-based international law firm headquartered in Seoul. Since the 2009 merger of Daeryook (DR) and AJU, the firm has expanded to over 220 attorneys and is now among the top ten firms in Korea.
|No. of attorneys||158|
|Key people||AJU founder, Kim Jin-Han|
|Company type||Limited liability company|
Daeryook International Law FirmEdit
The Kim Dae-Hui Law Office opened in 1992, and after former prosecutor Hahm Seung-Hui joined in 1994, the founding partners changed the name to “Hahm & Kim.” It was renamed Daeryook Law Group in 1996 and had expanded to several international branches by 2002. The firm focused on the emerging CRC (Corporate Restructuring Company) field and REITs, a survival strategy born from the 1997 Asian financial crisis. The firm also successfully pursued a case brought against the U.S. government in U.S. court on behalf of the victims of the 1997 Korean Air Flight 801 crash in Guam.
AJU International Law GroupEdit
Kim Jin-Han founded AJU law office in 1993 and established AJU International Law Group in 1994. Following the 1997 Asian financial crisis, the firm was appointed bankruptcy trustee for many major cases. AJU had expanded to multiple practice areas and added branch offices in Mongolia, Vietnam, Cambodia, UAE, Austria by 2007.
DR & AJU LLCEdit
The economic downturn from the global 2007-2008 financial crisis forced both Daeryook (DR) and AJU to close overseas offices. Growth resumed after the 2009 merger. Both firms had around 50 attorneys each in 2008 for a total of 100, but in 2020 the combined firm has nearly 220 attorneys. The firm has been noted for work in “David vs. Goliath” cases where it represented the smaller party. DR & AJU entered into an association with UK/German firm Taylor Wessing and its Singaporean office RHTLaw Taylor Wessing in 2014, making the firm the Seoul office of Taylor Wessing's ASEAN Plus Group of law firms.
As of April 2017, six DR & AJU attorneys are participating in the Ministry of Justice (South Korea)-backed 9988 SME Support Group. The attorneys provide pro bono advise to SMEs looking to expand production through exports. The firm also supports Happitory, a social organization founded in part by DR & AJU Partner Yongsuk Kwon. In addition to providing support for at-risk youth and others in need in Korea and abroad, the group also runs "내 안의 감옥" (The Prison Inside Me), a retreat that aids those suffering from the stress of modern living. In 2016, the firm signed the NGO MoU Rainbow Chian which assists foreign students, workers and tourists or ethnic minorities experiencing difficulties in Korea. DR & AJU will give initial consultations pro bono, and Rainbow Chian will retain the firm to handle complicated cases.
Recognitions & AwardsEdit
- DR & AJU wins Best Shipping Firm at Korea Law Awards 2017 
- ""김앤장 적수가 없다"… 8년 연속 '베스트 로펌'". news.hankyung.com. 2017-12-23. Retrieved 2018-01-23.
- Kim, Jin-Won (2008). "한국의 로펌 (Law Firms in Korea)". Seoul: Legal Times. pp. 228–229. ISBN 978-8-996-15840-0.
- Kim, Jin-Won (2008). 한국의 로펌 (Law Firms in Korea). Seoul: Legal Times. p. 230. ISBN 978-8-996-15840-0.
- Kim, Jin-Won (2008). 한국의 로펌 (Law Firms in Korea). Seoul: Legal Times. p. 231. ISBN 978-8-996-15840-0.
- "[아시아나 사고] '한국법원 보수적?' 재판籍 따라 배상액 갈림길". www.newsprime.co.kr. 2013-07-07. Retrieved 2016-04-29.
- Kim, Jin-Won (2008). 한국의 로펌 (Law Firms in Korea). Seoul: Legal Times. pp. 228–234. ISBN 978-8-996-15840-0.
- Kim, Jin-Won (2008). 한국의 로펌 (Law Firms in Korea). Seoul: Legal Times. p. 282. ISBN 978-8-996-15840-0.
- Seoul Economic Daily, Legal Desk (2009). 대한민국 전문 변호사들 (Leading Lawyers of Korea). Seoul: Lee Gaseo. pp. 146–149. ISBN 978-8-958-64267-1.
- "돈이 보이는 리얼타임 뉴스 '머니투데이'". MoneyToday. 2010-07-14. Retrieved 2016-04-29.
- Kim, Jin-Won (2008). 한국의 로펌 (Law Firms in Korea). Seoul: Legal Times. pp. 279–284. ISBN 978-8-996-15840-0.
- Kim, Jin-Won (2008). 한국의 로펌 (Law Firms in Korea). Seoul: Legal Times. pp. 230, 282. ISBN 978-8-996-15840-0.
- "Law firm rivalry adds drama to Hana-KEB deal". koreatimes. 2011-03-09. Archived from the original on 2016-08-04. Retrieved 2016-04-29.
- "More Top 100 Firms Post Profit Hikes". The Law Society Gazette. 2015-06-04. Retrieved 2016-05-11.[permanent dead link]
- "RHTLaw Taylor Wessing adds Korea footprint with DR & AJU JV". Asian Legal Business. 2014-05-21. Retrieved 2016-05-11.
- 법무부 중소기업법률지원단 (in Korean). Ministry of Justice. Retrieved 2017-04-10.
- "The People of Happitory". happitory.org/. Retrieved 2016-05-23.
- "Want a Break from Stress? Send Yourself to Prison". YouTube. Retrieved 2016-05-23.
- "JOINS.com, Joongang Ilbo online edition, October 10, 2016".
- "Korea Law Awards 2017", Asian Legal Business (January 2018, p. 42), archived from the original on 2018-01-23, retrieved 2018-01-23