Postcode district boundaries:
The DL postcode area, also known as the Darlington postcode area, is a group of seventeen postcode districts in England, which are subdivisions of fourteen post towns. These districts cover central County Durham (including Darlington, Bishop Auckland, Ferryhill, Crook, Spennymoor, Shildon, Barnard Castle and Newton Aycliffe), northern North Yorkshire (including Northallerton, Bedale, Hawes, Leyburn, Richmond and Catterick Garrison) and a very small part of Cumbria.
|Postcode area name|
|Statistics as at May 2020|
The approximate coverage of the postcode districts:
|Postcode district||Post town||Coverage||Local authority area(s)|
|DL2||DARLINGTON||Staindrop, Gainford, Darlington new estates||County Durham, Darlington|
|DL3||DARLINGTON||Darlington (west), Faverdale, Coatham Mundeville||Darlington|
|DL5||NEWTON AYCLIFFE||Newton Aycliffe, Heighington||County Durham|
|DL6||NORTHALLERTON||Northallerton (east), Ingleby Cross||Hambleton|
|DL7||NORTHALLERTON||Northallerton (west), Romanby, Leeming Bar||Hambleton|
|LEYBURN||Coverham, Leyburn, Middleham||Richmondshire|
|DL9||CATTERICK GARRISON||Catterick Garrison||Richmondshire|
|DL10||RICHMOND||Richmond, Catterick, Brompton-upon-Swale, Scotch Corner||Richmondshire|
|DL11||RICHMOND||Swaledale, Reeth, Low Row, Arkengarthdale||Richmondshire, Eden|
|DL12||BARNARD CASTLE||Barnard Castle, Bowes, Middleton-in-Teesdale||County Durham|
|DL13||BISHOP AUCKLAND||Stanhope, Frosterley, Wolsingham, Tow Law||County Durham, Eden|
|DL14||BISHOP AUCKLAND||Bishop Auckland, Evenwood||County Durham|
|DL15||CROOK||Crook, Willington||County Durham|
|DL17||FERRYHILL||Ferryhill, Chilton, Cornforth, Bishop Middleham||County Durham|
- "ONS Postcode Directory Version Notes" (ZIP). National Statistics Postcode Products. Office for National Statistics. May 2020. Table 2. Retrieved 19 June 2020. Coordinates from mean of unit postcode points, "Code-Point Open". OS OpenData. Ordnance Survey. February 2012. Retrieved 21 April 2012.
- Royal Mail, Address Management Guide, (2004)
- "Non Geographic Codes" (PDF). Royal Mail Address Management Unit. July 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on 16 September 2012. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "New sectors and localities to 14 December 2012" (PDF). Royal Mail Address Management Unit. 20 December 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2 February 2015. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "New sectors and localities to 17 August 2012" (PDF). Royal Mail Address Management Unit. 17 August 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on 16 September 2012. Retrieved 21 August 2012.