Demetrius Jerome Stewart (born November 30, 1993) is an American professional baseball outfielder for the Baltimore Orioles of Major League Baseball (MLB). He played college baseball at Florida State.
Stewart with the Florida State Seminoles
|Baltimore Orioles – No. 24|
|Born: November 30, 1993|
|September 12, 2018, for the Baltimore Orioles|
|MLB statistics |
(through August 19, 2019)
|Runs batted in||12|
Stewart attended the Bolles School in Jacksonville, Florida. He played both baseball and football in high school. Stewart was drafted by the New York Yankees in the 28th round of the 2012 Major League Baseball Draft. He did not sign with the Yankees and played college baseball at Florida State University.
As a freshman in 2013, Stewart played in 60 games, leading the team in hits (82), batting average (.364), doubles (25) and slugging percentage (.560). He also added five home runs and 59 runs batted in (RBI). As a sophomore in 2014, Stewart was named the ACC Player of the Year after batting .351/.472/.557 with seven home runs and 50 RBI. He was also named an All-American by the American Baseball Coaches Association (ABCA). In March he was suspended four games for his role in benches-clearing fracas against Florida. After the season, he played for the United States collegiate national team during the summer.
Stewart was selected 25th overall by the Baltimore Orioles in the 2015 MLB Draft. Stewart signed with the Orioles and spent 2015 with the Aberdeen Ironbirds, where he batted .218 with six home runs and 24 RBIs. Stewart spent the 2016 season with both the Delmarva Shorebirds and the Frederick Keys, where he batted a combined .254 with ten home runs and 55 RBIs between both clubs. In 2017, he played for the Bowie Baysox, where he posted a .278 batting average, 21 home runs, 79 RBIs, and 20 stolen bases.
- Justin Barney (June 22, 2012). "All-First Coast Baseball: Bolles' D.J. Stewart goes from snoozing to slugging". Jacksonville.com. Retrieved February 13, 2019.
- "FSU freshman DJ Stewart eager to deliver clutch hits for Seminoles". Articles.orlandosentinel.com. June 3, 2013. Retrieved February 13, 2019.
- GREG JOYCECape Cod Times. "Cape League Extra: Spotlight on D.J. Stewart". Capecodtimes.com. Retrieved February 13, 2019.
- "FSU's Stewart named ACC Player of the Year". Tallahassee Democrat. May 19, 2014.
- "DJ Stewart of Florida State Seminoles suspended four games for role in skirmish vs. Florida Gators". Espn.go.com. March 27, 2014. Retrieved February 13, 2019.
- "Stewart named to Team USA". Archived from the original on May 18, 2015. Retrieved May 15, 2015.
- Baltimore Sun (June 9, 2015). "Orioles select Florida State outfielder DJ Stewart with their first pick in amateur draft". baltimoresun.com. Retrieved February 13, 2019.
- "D.J. Stewart Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". Retrieved November 2, 2017.