RaaShaun Casey (born September 3, 1977) is an American disc jockey (DJ) and music producer better known by his professional name DJ Envy. He is one of the three hosts of the syndicated radio show The Breakfast Club, alongside Angela Yee and Charlamagne tha God on Power 105.1.
DJ Envy in 2014
|Birth name||RaaShaun Casey|
|Also known as||Beige Rage|
|Born||September 3, 1977|
Queens Village, Queens, New York City, New York, U.S.
|Genres||Hip hop, R&B|
|Labels||Desert Storm, Koch|
|Associated acts||DJ Clue?, Red Cafe, Nina Sky, Fabolous|
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A native of Queens, New York, DJ Envy, then called DJ Shrimp, was tutored and mentored by neighborhood acquaintance DJ Clue?, who introduced him to the mixtape circuit in the mid-1990s. DJ Clue hired DJ Envy as his gardener in 1991; while planting flowers, Envy would beat box. DJ Clue was impressed and took him under his wing. He quickly climbed up the ranks, and by the early 2000s he was peddling the latest commercials and exclusives for big-name rappers like Hahflamez, Jay-Z, 50 Cent, and The L.O.X.. Since his reputation was so esteemed, DJ Clue? signed him to his record label Desert Storm. In 2003, he released his commercial debut album entitled The Desert Storm Mixtape: Blok Party, Vol. 1.
DJ Envy's big break on the radio came when he mixed once a month for Hot 97's show called "Takin' it to the Streets", hosted by Angie Martinez from 12:00 am to 4:00 am, but later filled in when Martinez became pregnant. He then co-hosted Hot 97's morning show with Miss Jones from 6 am-10 am daily. His run on the morning show ended in July 2008 when Miss Jones moved to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. DJ Envy spun on his own mixshows on Hot 97 called "The People's Mix" on Saturdays from 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm and "The People's Choice Hit List" on Sundays 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm. He had a segment on Hot 97 titled "New at 2", where he played the newest hits from 2:00 pm to 2:30 pm. He hosts Hip-Hop Nation's afternoon show on Sirius XM Radio on weekdays 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm EST and on weekends he used to do a show from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm on Power 105.
On Monday December 6, 2010, DJ Envy, Angela Yee and Charlamagne tha God began hosting the morning show on Power 105 as The Breakfast Club. In September 2016, he voiced support for stop-and-frisk, and later apologized after constant criticism.
DJ Envy has made appearances on Juelz Santana's and Lloyd Banks's music video "Beamer Benz or Bentley" and various television shows, such as 106 & Park, Entourage, and Tha Corner, which he hosts on the Music Choice channel. He was featured in the 2006 film Blood of a Champion, credited as Shadow's enemy friend. He also appeared in The Raw Report of Gucci Mane documentary. On March 21, 2010, DJ Envy took over as VJ of MTV2's Sucker Free Countdown.
He recently released a record entitled "Still A Fan" featuring recording artist, songwriter, producer "Rico Love". Which leads many to believe he may be planning a new mixtape or album in the future. He and his wife Gia Casey host a podcast called "The Casey Crew" that talks about the good, bad, ugly, and beauty of relationships and family.
Awards and recognitionEdit
On January 24, 2020, Mayor Marty Small of Atlantic City, New Jersey officially declared January 23 as "Breakfast Club Day" in Atlantic City. DJ Envy was presented separately with an official Key to the City of Atlantic City for his "outstanding efforts to market and promote Atlantic City."
Casey is married to Gia Casey, who is of Chinese-Jamaican heritage. They were together since high school and married in 2001. They have five children: daughters Madison, London, and Brooklynn; sons Logan and Jaxson.
- The Desert Storm Mixtape: Blok Party, Vol. 1 (2003)
- The Co-Op (with Red Cafe) (2007)
- It's Moovin' (2009)
- Love and Envy (2011)
- Audio Uprising, Vol. 1 (2011)
- Full Breach. Vol. 5 (2014)
- F2D Presents Hall of Fame 2 (with DA L.E.S. & DJ D Double D) (2018)
- Just A Kid From Queens (2018)
- DJ Envy at Allmusic
- Baker, Al (May 13, 2006) D.J. Is Arrested Over His Threat to Rival's Child. The New York Times
- [dead link]
- DJ Envy Return of the Hustle. Xxlmag.com (July 27, 2007). Archived version dated December 1, 2007, accessed via Internet Archive on October 13, 2017.
- DJ Envy's 5 DJ Commandments. SOHH.com
- "DJ Envy Supports Stop and Frisk, Twitter Bites Back". BET.com.
- "DJ Envy, stop-and-frisk supporter, says he was recently shot at in N.J." NJ.com.
- McCann, Mac (September 27, 2016). "DJ Envy Is Catching Hell for Defending Unconstitutional Stop and Frisk Policing". Complex.
- "DJ Envy Condemns Stop-And-Frisk After Talk With John Legend". Vibe.com. September 29, 2016.
- Blood of a Champion (2006) – Full cast and crew. IMDb.com
- "Mayor Marty Small Proclaims 'Breakfast Club Day' In Atlantic City". YouTube. Retrieved April 1, 2020.
- Video on YouTube
- Hyman, Vicki. "DJ Envy's Kinnelon mansion on market for $2M, bedazzled bathroom and all", NJ Advance Medis for NJ.com, March 16, 2016, updated January 26, 2019. Accessed February 19, 2020. "Nationally syndicated hip-hop DJ RaaShaun Casey, who goes by DJ Envy on Power 105.1 FM's morning show The Breakfast Club and also hosts a Sirius XM show, is looking to leave his lavish Colonial on seven gated acres in Kinnelon."
- "Full Breach Mixtapes". Full Breach Mixtapes.
- "DJ ENVY PLANS TO SATISFY EVERY MOOD WITH UPCOMING ALBUM 'JUST A KID FROM QUEENS'". XXL Magazine.