DHL Fastest Lap Award
The DHL Fastest Lap Award is awarded to the driver with the most fastest laps in a Formula One season. The trophy, inaugurated in 2007, was the first such award to honour drivers with the most fastest laps. According to Bernie Ecclestone, the award, "recognises the very things that make Formula 1: speed and organisation."
|DHL Fastest Lap Award|
|Awarded for||Most fastest laps in a Formula One season|
|Currently held by||Lewis Hamilton|
The award is sponsored by DHL Express, as part of their role as logistics partner of the sport. Ken Allen, chief executive officer of DHL Express explained why DHL sponsors this award, "The fastest lap in a race is always a challenge. This is the result of speed, precision and teamwork. Winning the DHL Fastest Lap Trophy adds continuity and reliability to this. All these attributes found the basis for DHL's express business as well."
In the event of a tie, there is a countback, with the most amount of second-fastest laps, third-fastest laps, and so on, being considered until a winner is found.
In the history of the award, there have been three tiebreak situations; in 2007, when Kimi Räikkönen and Felipe Massa tied with six fastest laps, and two second fastest laps, in 2009, when both Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber had three fastest laps at the end of the season, and again in 2010, with Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton each having five fastest laps.
While most of the early years of the award have been closely fought, there were a few exceptions; in 2008 Räikkönen had ten fastest laps, ahead of second placed Massa with three, and in 2012 Vettel had six fastest laps, ahead of Nico Rosberg, Jenson Button and Kimi Räikkönen, who each had two. Notably, eleven different drivers managed to get a fastest lap throughout 2012.
Mark Webber secured the DHL Fastest Lap award for the 2011 season after setting an unassailable number of fastest laps at the penultimate race, the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. With another fastest lap at the season-ending Brazilian Grand Prix, he beat Hamilton, Jenson Button and World Champion Vettel seven fastest laps to three.
Vettel won again in 2013 with two more fastest laps than runner-up, and 2011 winner, Webber. 2014 brought a new winner of the award, with Lewis Hamilton winning the award ahead of teammate Nico Rosberg. By winning the award, Mercedes ended a seven-year stranglehold on the award from rivals Red Bull and Ferrari.
|2007||Kimi Räikkönen (WC)||Ferrari||F2007||6|
|2009||Sebastian Vettel||Red Bull||RB5||3|
|2011||Mark Webber||Red Bull||RB7||7|
|2012||Sebastian Vettel (WC)||Red Bull||RB8||6|
|2013||Sebastian Vettel (WC)||Red Bull||RB9||7|
|2014||Lewis Hamilton (WC)||Mercedes||F1 W05 Hybrid||7|
|2015||Lewis Hamilton (WC)||Mercedes||F1 W06 Hybrid||8|
|2016||Nico Rosberg (WC)||Mercedes||F1 W07 Hybrid||6|
|2017||Lewis Hamilton (WC)||Mercedes||F1 W08 EQ Power+||7|
(WC) indicates that the driver won the World Championship in the same season.
* Season still in progress.
|Number of wins||Driver||Years|
|3||Sebastian Vettel||2009, 2012, 2013|
|Lewis Hamilton||2014, 2015, 2017|
|2||Kimi Räikkönen||2007, 2008|
- "DHL to sponsor Formula 1's fastest laps trophy". Brand Republic. Retrieved 11 February 2010.
- "Pure adrenaline". Deutsche Post DHL. Retrieved 11 February 2010.
- "Alonso wins DHL Fastest Lap Trophy". formula1.com. Retrieved 15 November 2010.
- "DHL Fastest Lap Award - 2007 Results". formula1.com. Retrieved 11 February 2010.
- "DHL Fastest Lap Award - 2009 Results". formula1.com. Retrieved 11 February 2010.
- "DHL Fastest Lap Award - 2010 Results". formula1.com. Archived from the original on 22 July 2010. Retrieved 14 November 2010.
- "DHL Fastest Lap Award - 2008 Results". formula1.com. Retrieved 11 February 2010.
- "DHL Fastest Lap Award - 2012 Results". formula1.com. Retrieved 25 December 2012.
- "DHL Fastest Lap Award - 2011 Results". formula1.com. Retrieved 14 November 2011.
- "DHL Fastest Lap Award - 2010 Results". formula1.com. Archived from the original on 22 July 2010. Retrieved 27 September 2010.
- "DHL Fastest Lap Award - 2013 Results". formula1.com. Retrieved 24 November 2013.
- "DHL Fastest Lap Award - 2014 Results". formula1.com. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- "2015 DHL Fastest Lap Award". formula1.com. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
- "2016 DHL Fastest Lap Award". formula1.com. Retrieved 13 November 2016.
- "2017 DHL Fastest Lap Award". formula1.com. Retrieved 2 December 2017.