DC Books is the largest publisher in Kerala, the leading publisher of books in Malayalam, and one of the ten biggest publishers in India. It also operates one of the largest book store chains in India, with a network of over 45 bookshops under the DC Books and Current Books brands as well as over 50 agencies in Kerala.
|Founder||Dominic Chacko Kizhakemuri|
|Country of origin||India|
DC Books is a publisher and bookseller with headquarters in Kottayam, Kerala, India. It published over 6500 titles, mainly literature in Malayalam, but also including children's literature, poetry, reference, biography, self-help, yoga, management titles, and foreign translations. It distributes 70% of books across Kerala.
DC Media, is the media division of DC Books. DC Media publishes 5 magazines namely, Education Insider, Asia's leading magazine on education, Future Medicine, magazine on Asian medical industry and Emerging Kerala, Kerala's fastest growing magazine on business, economy and society, Money Indices and Travel and Flavors. DC Books was founded in 1974 by Dominic Chacko Kizhakemuri, known as D.C. Kizhakemuri or just DC amongst literary Kerala. At that time, DC was Secretary of the Sahitya Pravarthaka Sahakarana Sangam, a cooperative venture of Malayalam writers. The society helped writers with the business and publishing details and instituted a standard royalty of 30-40%, as well as the system of an 'advance' payment for their books, financially enabling them to devote themselves to writing full-time. When he turned his attention to founding DC Books, DC began promoting and creating markets for its books by organizing festivals, clubs, and pre-publication subscriptions, and installment schemes. Their successful bookclub scheme allows buyers to build a library of their own by buying books on installments. In 1977, Current Books became its sister concern. In 2001, DC Books launched dcbooks.com, an Indian local language bookstore with over 4,000 titles. In 2004, DC Books partnered with Corner Books to open a New Delhi branch for Keralites in Delhi.
DC Books is the parent company of the following imprints:
- DC Books: non-fiction, literature, translations, and reference books
- Kairali Mudralayam: popular fiction, including children's books and translations
- Kairali Children's Book Trust: produces children's literature and gives annual awards for best works in Malayalam
- Mango Books: Children's imprint in English. Winner of Awards for Excellence(2014) constituted by the Federation of Indian Publishers.
- In 2004 alone, won five awards in the General, Reference, Paperback, House Magazine, and Catalogues categories for their: Malayalam Encyclopedia, Thesaurus, Charithrakaandom, Pachakuthira.
- In 2004 alone, D.C. Books brought out 531 titles, the maximum number among Indian publishers
- DC Books was the first publishers/book sellers in India to get ISO 9000 Certification.
DC Books Clubs and FestivalsEdit
The DC International Book Fair offers book releases and exhibitions. The Fair also features youth contests in Spot Poetry Writing, English Quiz, Malayalam Quiz, Street Drama - Malayalam, Declamation, Pen A Story, Special Schools Only, Film Appreciation, English Reading, Malayalam Reading, Painting, and Readers Theatre.
The headquarters of DC Books on Good Shepherd Street in Kottayam houses an art gallery, hosting exhibits of modern and traditional paintings and sculptures.
DC Media, the media wing of DC Books was launched in January 2011. DC Media publishes Education Insider, a pan-Asian magazine for the education sector; Future Medicine, a global magazine on health and medicine;Emerging Kerala (Magazine), a magazine which focuses on the socio-economic development of Kerala; and Pachakuthira, a magazine which intervenes into the socio-political space.
Education Insider offers comprehensive coverage of the education sector in the region and the world at large with special focus on Asian countries. The progressive and state-of- the-art periodical will provide credible, authentic and detailed news and views on the sector covering innovation and strategic breakthroughs, emerging trends, research reports and analyses, interviews with experts, institution profiles, course details, education news and branding techniques. Future Medicine provides credible, authentic and detailed news and views on the medical sector covering innovation and strategic breakthroughs, emerging trends, research reports and analyses, interviews with eminent doctors, and columns by healthcare experts. Emerging Kerala, a comprehensive Malayalam periodical on business, economy and society, is the fastest growing magazine in Kerala. The magazine provides credible, authentic and in-depth news and views on Kerala’s development and growth prospects. International Relations, Politics, Entrepreneurship, Branding & Brands, Education, Real Estate, Banking, Finance & Portfolio Management, Tourism, Automobile, Art and Cinema Industry are some of the major sectors that the magazine covers.
Money Indices is the latest magazine from the house of DC Books. Money Indices is a monthly business magazine published by DC Media, the media arm of DC Books, India's most trusted book publishing house and largest retail chain of books. Ranging from entrepreneurship to finance and business, Money Indices have a pan-Asian reach and cover all areas pertaining to the modern business cycle. Alongside path breaking cover story, based on extensive research and its findings, the magazine would publish selective edit features and columns from diversified market economies and corporate world. Few of the handpicked edit topics include: economic roundups (Asian countries), currency and exchange rate trends (global), politics in Indian economy, top NBFCs operating in Indian sub-continent, Indian MNCs/corporate giants undertaking global missions, vibrant entrepreneurs (Asia), unique start-ups (India), top venture capital/private equity firms with India centric plans, case studies on major SMEs (India), upcoming brands across sectors (India), success stories in agriculture, personal finance, Q&As (Bank CMDs, industry captains, financial experts), and the like. Money Indices online offers latest news and opinion articles on politics, business, entrepreneurship, stock market, corporate, real estate, retail…To sum up, it's all about business. Money Indices also offers insights on international news, politics, business, finance, science and technology.
- "Public Utilities". Kottayam.com. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "DC Book Shop Locations". Dcbooks.com. Archived from the original on 23 December 2013. Retrieved 17 November 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Asias largest circulated Education Magazine". Education Insider. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "Asia's largest circulated magazine on Medical Industry". Futuremedicineonline.com. Archived from the original on 27 November 2012. Retrieved 17 November 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 8 June 2012. Retrieved 10 November 2012. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|deadurl=(help)CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "para. 4-5". Indianexpress.com. Retrieved 17 November 2013.[permanent dead link]
- The Hindu Business Line : Quiet flows the Puzha Archived 30 September 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- "Books, Kerala books". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 13 May 2004.
- "Linguist Listserv, nos. 11-13". Archived from the original on 28 February 2008. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Government of Kerala, Law Library, Acquisitions". November 2007. Archived from the original on 16 July 2011. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Welcome to DC Books". Archived from the original on 9 June 2008. Retrieved 4 October 2018. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "Awards for DC Books". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 12 February 2004.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 3 May 2008. Retrieved 30 November 2010. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|deadurl=(help)CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) and "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 7 December 2007. Retrieved 6 November 2007. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|deadurl=(help)CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "dcbookfair.com". dcbookfair.com. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "D C Books in Kottayam India". India9.com. 19 August 2005. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "Untitled-1". Dcmediacorp.com. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "About Us". Educationinsider.net. Archived from the original on 28 November 2012. Retrieved 17 November 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "About Us « Asia's largest circulated magazine on Medical Industry". Futuremedicineonline.com. Archived from the original on 26 December 2012. Retrieved 17 November 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Latest Business, Financial, Economic, Political & Stock Market news, India, UAE, World". Money Indices. Archived from the original on 28 September 2013. Retrieved 17 November 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter