Cycling at the 2004 Summer Olympics – Men's team sprint
The men's team sprint event in cycling at the 2004 Summer Olympics was contested by twelve teams. The competition took place on August 21 at the Olympic Velodrome at the Athens Olympic Sports Complex.
| Germany (GER)
| Japan (JPN)
| France (FRA)|
The twelve teams of three riders raced the course without competition in the qualifying round. The top eight qualified for the first round, while the bottom four received final rankings based on their times in the qualifying round.
|1||France||Mickaël Bourgain, Laurent Gané, Arnaud Tournant||44.179 Q|
|2||Germany||Jens Fiedler, Stefan Nimke, René Wolff||44.251 Q|
|3||Japan||Toshiaki Fushimi, Masaki Inoue, Tomohiro Nagatsuka||44.355 Q|
|4||Spain||José Antonio Escuredo, Salvador Melia, José Antonio Villanueva||44.452 Q|
|5||Australia||Ryan Bayley, Sean Eadie, Shane Kelly||44.512 Q|
|6||Netherlands||Jan Bos, Theo Bos, Teun Mulder||44.539 Q|
|7||Great Britain||Chris Hoy, Craig MacLean, Jamie Staff||44.693 Q|
|8||Greece||Georgios Cheimonetos, Dimitrios Georgalis, Labros Vasilopoulos||44.986 Q|
|9||Poland||Rafał Furman, Łukasz Kwiatkowski, Damian Zieliński||45.093|
|10||Cuba||Reinier Cartaya, Julio César Herrera, Ahmed López||45.548|
|11||United States||Adam Duvendeck, Giddeon Massie, Christian Stahl||45.742|
|12||Slovakia||Peter Bazálik, Jaroslav Jeřábek, Ján Lepka||45.978|
In the first round of match competition, teams raced head-to-head. The two fastest winners advanced to the finals, the other two winners competed for the bronze medal and fourth place, and losers received final rankings (fifth through eight places) based on their times in the round. In this round, Great Britain had the second fastest time overall, but lost their match to Germany and therefore did not advance to the medal round.
The final classification was
- Official Report of the XXVIII Olympiad (PDF). Volume 2: The Games. Athens 2004 Organising Committee for the Olympic Games S.A. November 2005. p. 307. ISBN 960-88101-8-3. Retrieved 2008-03-20.
- "Cycling Track" (PDF) (Press release). Organising Committee for the Olympic Games Athens 2004. 2004-08-21. Retrieved 2008-03-20. Men's Team Sprint: Communiqués 7, 31, 35, 39, and 40.
- "Athens 2004 Olympics, Cycling - Cycling Results". Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved 2008-03-20.
- "Olympics 2004 | Cycling | Results | Men's team sprint cycling results". BBC Sport. 2004-08-12. Retrieved 2008-03-20.
- "Olympics - Schedule & Results". SI.com. Retrieved 2008-03-20.