Cycling at the 1960 Summer Olympics – Men's team pursuit
|Men's cycling team pursuit|
at the Games of the XVII Olympiad
|Venue||Olympic Velodrome, Rome|
|Date||27–29 August 1960|
|Competitors||76 from 19 nations|
The team pursuit event consisted of both a time trial (with up to 2 teams on the track at the same time) and a series of head-to-head races between 2 teams. There were a total of four rounds: an elimination round, quarterfinals, semifinals, and finals.
- Elimination round: This round was a time trial, with 1 or 2 teams on the track simultaneously. The top 8 times, regardless of heat, advanced to the head-to-head competitions.
- Quarterfinals: There were four quarterfinals. Beginning with the quarterfinals, each round featured a single head-to-head race. The winner of each advanced to the semifinals while the loser was eliminated.
- Semifinals: There two semifinals. The winner of each advanced to the gold medal final, the loser to the bronze medal final.
- Finals: A gold medal final and a bronze medal final were held.
|3||7||United Team of Germany||4:40.33||Q|
|1||United Team of Germany||4:29.32||Q|
|1||United Team of Germany||4:33.46||Q|
Bronze medal finalEdit
Gold medal finalEdit
|United Team of Germany||4:35.78|
- "Cycling at the 1960 Rome Summer Games: Men's Team Pursuit, 4,000 metres". sports-reference.com. Archived from the original on 18 April 2020. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- The Official Report lists the time as 4:35.87, clearly a typographical error as Japan is shown in 2nd place in the heat behind Argentina, who finished in 4:44.44. Sports-reference lists the correct time.