This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A custom home is a one-of-a-kind house that is designed for a specific client and for a particular location. The custom home builder may use plans created by an architect or by a professional home designer. Custom homes afford consumers the opportunity to control layout, lot size, and accessibility.
In most cases, custom home builders construct on land the home buyer already owns. Some developers sell fully serviced lots specifically for the construction of custom homes. This makes it easy to build a custom home since the lot is construction-ready and builders can focus purely on the design of the home.
Differences between custom home builders and production home buildersEdit
Custom home buildersEdit
- Build on land already owned. Some custom builders also build on land they own which is known as a spec home – short for speculative.
- Build unique houses. A custom home is a site-specific home built from a unique set of plans for the wishes of a specific client. For this the services of an architect are used. Some custom builders may offer design/build services.
- Build single-family homes.
- Are generally small-volume builders.
- Tend to build high-end homes.
Production home buildersEdit
The Construction Industry attributes to being the fourth largest contributor to GDP in Australian economy, employing 9.1% of the Australian workforce.
Despite the economic recovery, house building is rapidly increasing. Housing construction grew for a 15th month in April, which is the longest period of growth 2006/07. According to The Times, 13,000 out of 200,000 homes built each year in the UK are self or custom built [April, 2019]. Since 2016, individuals in England have had the right to build their own bespoke home. The Right to Build requires local authorities in England to maintain a register of people who want to custom or self build in their area. This legislation was put in place to accelerate the growth of new housing by empowering consumers to create their ideal home built to their specification.
Within the UK there are several routes for custom homes such as serviced plots, customisable homes and collective custom build.
In the United States, the home building industry accounts for $82 billion in revenue with an annual growth of 5.8%. The industry currently attributes to 398,391 employees over 163,843 Businesses.
- "Australian Construction Industry". abs.gov.au. Retrieved 2015-03-11.
- "UK Home Construction Industry". The Guardian. Retrieved 2015-03-11.
- Byers, David. "Self-build housing isn't only for the rich". The Times. Retrieved 2020-01-23.
- Lees, Martina. [Thousands have hit brick wall in quest to self-build "Thousands have hit brick wall in quest to self-build"] Check
|url=value (help). The Times. Retrieved 2020-01-23.
- "Home Builders in the U.S". IBISWorld. Retrieved 2015-03-11.
- National Association of Home Builders NAHB.com, 2010.