Cummins Corporate Office Building
The Cummins Corporate Office Building in Columbus, Indiana is a modernist office building designed by Kevin Roche. Constructed in 1983, the building serves as the corporate headquarters of the Cummins engine company. It was constructed on an old railroad yard and is unique for being built around the Cerealine Building, which was Cummins' first factory building.
|Cummins Corporate Office Building|
Aerial view, Cerealine building center
|Former names||Cerealine building|
|Address||500 Jackson Street|
|Town or city||Columbus, Indiana|
|Structural system||Precast concrete and glass|
|Floor area||200,000 sq ft (19,000 m2)|
|Design and construction|
|Architecture firm||Kevin Roche John Dinkeloo and Associates|
Cummins CEO J. Irwin Miller had "a lifelong interest in architecture", and in the 1950s established a foundation to pay architecture fees for new public buildings in Columbus and Bartholomew County. When Cummins decided to construct a new corporate headquarters, it turned to Pritzker Prize-winning architect, Kevin Roche.
The building is built on a three-block plot of land that formerly served as a rail yard in downtown Columbus. As part of its distinctive construction, Roche built the new precast concrete structure around the original Cerealine Building, which served as Cummins' first factory and administrative offices. The original building was also renovated to serve as the cafeteria for the employees of the company.
Roche used precast concrete and glass as his primary building elements in the 200,000 sq ft (19,000 m2) building. Jack Curtis executed the landscaping for the facility, including the large open green area on the eastern side that is open to the public as a park. As of 2013, it remained in use as Cummins' corporate headquarters.
- Breining, Greg (2007-08-24). "Columbus, Indiana: Modernism on the prairie". Star Tribune. Archived from the original on 2011-01-17. Retrieved 2010-06-10.
- Sullivan, Mary Ann. "Cummins Engine Company". Bluffton University. Retrieved 2010-06-10.
- "The Cummins Foundation: History". Cummins. Archived 2013-10-30 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 2013-12-28.
- "Kevin Roche". The Hyatt Foundation. 2010. Archived from the original on 2010-08-10. Retrieved 2010-06-10.
- "Columbus Indiana Pictures and Photos From Bygone Days". Historic Columbus Indiana. Archived from the original on 2011-03-03. Retrieved 2010-06-10.
- Clerkin, Paul (2009). "Architects of Ireland - Kevin Roche". Archiseek.com. Archived from the original on February 16, 2009. Retrieved 2010-06-10.
- "Cummins building blends in with city by design". Archived 2013-12-30 at the Wayback Machine WISHTV.com. 2013-07-17. Retrieved 2013-12-28.
- Reports, Staff. "Watch the video, view the renderings: Cummins to upgrade global headquarters in Columbus; new railroad overpass planned". Retrieved 19 February 2018.
- "Columbus announces railroad project, Cummins renovations totaling $80 million". 5 July 2017. Retrieved 19 February 2018.