Culver City Stairs
The Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook California State Park is located just southwest of downtown Culver City. To some Los Angeles area residents, the site is more commonly known as the Culver City Stairs. This outdoor staircase is designed into the trails leading up to a view of the greater Los Angeles area. The street address for the park is 6300 Hetzler Road, Culver City, California 90232.
|Culver City Stairs|
The stairs looking south/up in May 2013
|Design||Safdie Rabines Architects|
|Height||715 ft (218 m)|
The state of California purchased the property in 2000, then closed it to the public in the middle of 2006 to construct the trails (which include the staircase) and visitor center. The visitor center was created by the San Diego-based Safdie Rabines Architects, whose goal in designing the overlook was to “encompass non-traditional park demographics and environments.” The duo’s work has graced Southern California educational and civic projects like UC San Diego’s Eleanor Roosevelt College, the student center at UCLA, and the Otay Mesa Library. The park reopened in April 2009 with the 282 unique, irregular steps made from recycled concrete found on the park.
The tallest single step measures approximately 20 inches (located adjacent to the only intermediate landing without a curved bench for resting). The average step height is 10.5 inches, and the shortest is 3.5 inches. An information sign posted at the trail entrance near the intersection of Jefferson Blvd. and Hetzler Rd. states that the staircase is 715 feet. In the center of the 13-foot landing between the 247th and 248th steps is a bronze marker stating the elevation, surrounded by two semi-circular engravings:
Step by step, your climb expands
Concrete = cement + sand + aggregate + water
- Wilson, Nick (July 25, 2011). "A Park a Day: Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook, Culver City". LAist. Archived from the original on March 5, 2017. Retrieved December 2, 2016.
- "Architecture review: What should a big-city park look like?". =Los Angeles Times. Retrieved April 23, 2009.
- History of Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook
- "Park Info, California State Parks". =Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook Staff. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- "Safdie Rabines Architects tread lightly with a master plan for a new state park above the Los Angeles suburbs". =The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. Retrieved October 13, 2009.
- "Conquer The Overlook Stair Climb, Overall Finish List, September 06, 2014" (PDF). Retrieved August 29, 2015.
- "Conquer the Overlook Stair Climb, Overall Finish List, August 22, 2015". Retrieved August 29, 2015.