Cultösaurus Erectus is the seventh studio album by American hard rock band Blue Öyster Cult, released in 1980. Following an experiment with a more-polished sound on the album Mirrors (released the previous year), this recording marked a return to the band's earlier, heavier sound. The first track, "Black Blade", features lyrics by fantasy and sci-fi writer Michael Moorcock and is about Stormbringer, a black sword wielded by Elric of Melniboné, the most famous character in Moorcock's mythology.
Cover art by Richard Clifton-Dey
|Studio album by|
|Released||June 14, 1980|
|Studio||Kingdom Sound Studios, Long Island, New York|
|Blue Öyster Cult chronology|
|Singles from Cultösaurus Erectus|
|Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal||10/10|
This album also features the first collaboration with British producer Martin Birch (Deep Purple, Fleetwood Mac, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden), who would also produce the band's following album Fire of Unknown Origin in 1981. The riff to Deep Purple's "Smoke on the Water", a song Birch helped record, is referenced in "The Marshall Plan" - a song not about the World War II scenario, but a reference to the amplifier manufacturer.
While the album did sell more than its predecessor, it stalled at Gold status. However, during this time Blue Öyster Cult was still filling large venues. The tour promoting Cultösaurus Erectus found the band co-headlining sports arenas in the United States with Black Sabbath as part of the Black and Blue Tour (see Black and Blue).
|1.||"Black Blade"||Eric Bloom, Michael Moorcock, John Trivers||Bloom||6:34|
|2.||"Monsters"||Albert Bouchard, Caryn Bouchard||Bloom||5:10|
|3.||"Divine Wind"||Donald Roeser||Bloom||5:07|
|5.||"The Marshall Plan"||Bloom, A. Bouchard, Joe Bouchard, Allen Lanier, Roeser||Bloom||5:24|
|6.||"Hungry Boys"||A. Bouchard, C. Bouchard||A. Bouchard||3:38|
|7.||"Fallen Angel"||J. Bouchard, Helen Wheels||J. Bouchard||3:11|
|8.||"Lips in the Hills"||Bloom, Roeser, Richard Meltzer||Bloom||4:24|
|9.||"Unknown Tongue"||A. Bouchard, David Roter||Bloom||3:55|
- Band members
- Eric Bloom – guitar, keyboards, vocals
- Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser – lead guitar, bass (on "Deadline"), keyboards, vocals
- Allen Lanier – keyboards, guitar
- Joe Bouchard – bass, vocals
- Albert Bouchard – drums, vocals
- Additional musicians
|1980||Billboard 200 (United States)||34|
|UK Albums Chart||12|
|RPM100 Albums (Canada)||77|
- Ruhlmann, William. "Blue Öyster Cult - Cultosaurus Erectus review". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2012-01-17.
- Popoff, Martin (1 November 2005). The Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal: Volume 2: The Eighties. Burlington, Ontario, Canada: Collector's Guide Publishing. p. 54. ISBN 978-1894959315.
- Davis, Robert. "Blue Öyster Cult - Cultosaurus Erectus review". Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2018-01-02.
- "Blue Öyster Cult Chart History: Billboard 200". Billboard.com. Billboard. Retrieved September 2, 2018.
- "Blue Oyster Cult Official Charts". Official Charts Company. Retrieved April 22, 2018.
- "Top Albums/CDs – Volume 33, No. 21, August 16, 1980". Library and Archives Canada. 16 August 1980. Retrieved 2012-01-19.