Cruella is an upcoming American crime comedy film directed by Craig Gillespie from a screenplay written by Aline Brosh McKenna, Jez Butterworth, Dana Fox, Kelly Marcel, Tony McNamara, and Steve Zissis. Based on the character Cruella de Vil introduced in Dodie Smith's 1956 novel The Hundred and One Dalmatians and Walt Disney's 1961 animated film One Hundred and One Dalmatians, the film will star Emma Stone as the titular character, with Emma Thompson, Paul Walter Hauser, Joel Fry, and Mark Strong in supporting roles.
|Directed by||Craig Gillespie|
|Edited by||Tatiana S. Riegel|
|Distributed by||Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures|
Cruella is scheduled to be released on May 28, 2021 by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures.
Set in the 1970s London, young fashion designer Cruella de Vil becomes obsessed with dogs' skins, especially Dalmatians, until she eventually becomes a ruthless and terrifying legend; one of the most iconic Disney villains of all time.
A live-action Cruella de Vil film was announced in 2011. Andrew Gunn will produce the film, with Glenn Close (who previously played the titular character in the 1996 live-action adaptation and its sequel) serving as executive producer and Kelly Marcel would revise the script originally written by Aline Brosh McKenna. On January 6, 2016, Emma Stone was cast in the titular role of Cruella de Vil. In August 2016, Jez Butterworth was hired to rewrite the previous draft of the film. In November 2016, it was reported that Disney had hired Alex Timbers to direct the live-action adaptation, with Marc Platt joining the film as a producer. However, in December 2018, it was revealed that Timbers had left the film due to scheduling conflicts and Craig Gillespie would instead direct the film, replacing Timbers.
In May 2019, Emma Thompson joined the cast, while Tony McNamara and Dana Fox were hired to write the recent version of the screenplay. Paul Walter Hauser and Joel Fry were added in the following months as the henchmen, Horace and Jasper, respectively.
On August 24, 2019, during the D23 Expo, it was revealed that principal photography for Cruella had already begun. The first official image from the film featuring Stone as Cruella with three adult dalmatians on a leash, Hauser as Horace and Fry as Jasper was also unveiled during the event. In September 2019, Mark Strong, Emily Beecham and Kirby Howell-Baptiste were cast. Filming wrapped on November 26, 2019.
- Highfill, Samantha (October 1, 2013). "Disney is making a live-action Cruella de Vil movie". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved October 1, 2013.
- Kit, Borys (December 14, 2016). "Disney's Live-Action 'Cruella' Finds Director". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 15, 2016.
- Kit, Borys (January 6, 2016). "Emma Stone in Talks to Play Cruella de Vil for Disney (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 7, 2016.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (April 13, 2016). "Disney Sets 'Pete's Dragon' Helmer David Lowery For New Live-Action Peter Pan Film". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 14, 2016.
- Kit, Borys (November 17, 2011). "Disney Preps Live-Action Cruella de Vil Film (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- Kit, Borys (November 17, 2011). "Disney Preps Live-Action Cruella de Vil Film (Exclusive)". Hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- Lyons, Josh (August 1, 2016). ""Spectre" Scribe Jez Butterworth Tapped To Rewrite Emma Stone-Starring "Cruella" For Disney (EXCLUSIVE)". The Tracking Board. Retrieved September 22, 2016.
- Jr, Mike Fleming (December 4, 2018). "Craig Gillespie In Talks To Direct Emma Stone In 'Cruella'". Deadline. Retrieved December 5, 2018.
- "Emma Thompson in Talks to Join Emma Stone in Disney's 'Cruella' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. May 14, 2019. Retrieved August 1, 2019.
- "'Richard Jewell' Star Paul Walter Hauser Joins Disney's Live-Action 'Cruella'". Variety. July 29, 2019. Retrieved August 1, 2019.
- Disney’s ‘Cruella’ Casts Joel Fry as Jasper (EXCLUSIVE)
- ‘Cruella’ is next, and here’s your first look!
- Earle, Toby (September 11, 2019). "Ooooh Mark Strong says he starts work with Emma Thompson & Emma Stone on #Cruella this Friday (via @BBC6Music)". Twitter. Retrieved September 11, 2019.
- ‘Cruella’: Cannes Best Actress Winner Emily Beecham Joins Disney Live-Action Prequel With Emma Stone
- Kroll, Justin (September 24, 2019). "'Cruella' Adds 'Killing Eve's' Kirby Howell-Baptiste Opposite Emma Stone (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved September 24, 2019.
- Stacey, Nadia (November 26, 2019). "That's it folks. What an experience. I think it's going to take a while to come down. Thank you to my amazing team for working so so hard and for always having such fun. My crowd team, oh my goodness, Julia Vernon is a total genius and I was so spoilt with the talent in the room. Wait till you see the looks! It's been the biggest challenge. So fast paced and totally mad at times but I'm so proud of what we've done. Now to rest! #makeup #design #hair #designer #cruella #cruelladevil #emmastone #disney #teamworkmakesthedreamwork Thank you to the super talented @soleiljacksonillustration for my bags!". Instagram. Retrieved November 26, 2019.
- Amy Adams ‘Woman In The Window’ Will Now Open In Early Summer, ‘Cruella’ Moves To 2021 Deadline Hollywood, August 20, 2019
- Disney Gives Live-Action Cruella Movie 2020 Release Date Comicbook.com, May 7, 2019
- Cruella: Release date, cast, plot and everything you need to know Digital Spy, May 16, 2019