Creative Review is a bimonthly print magazine and website. The magazine focuses on commercial creativity, covering design, advertising, photography, branding, digital products, film, and gaming. The magazine is published bimonthly in print and also has an online magazine and a podcast (available on iTunes and Spotify).
In addition, Creative Review runs two award schemes, The Annual, which recognises the best in commercial creativity and The Photography Annual, which celebrates the best photography work of the year.
History and growthEdit
Creative Review was launched in 1981, as a quarterly supplement to Marketing Week, and then becoming a stand-alone monthly magazine in its own right.
In 2007, it was reported that the magazine had sold guest editorship of its February 2007 edition to an advertising agency, Mother, for £15,000, although then editor Patrick Burgoyne retained overall editorial control. He said: “I feel comfortable about it – it’s not about Mother, there’s no interview with them, it’s not puffy but it’s about important issues for the readers.”
Creative Review launched a full website in 2009, after running a blog for two years, which Burgoyne had perceived as "successful" but “limiting”.
In July 2017, the magazine went bimonthly, with six issues published each year.
As of April 2018, Creative Review launched an online subscription, with a selection of articles only available to paying readers. Then editor Patrick Burgoyne justified the change: "To be successful today, free websites need lots of clicks and lots of advertisers. For the reader, that has come to mean high volumes of low-quality content. That is not what Creative Review is about. We don't want that to be our future and we don't want it to be the future of the industry we serve."
Editors and writersEdit
- Editor: Eliza Williams
- Art Director: Paul Pensom / Studio Pensom
- Associate Editor: Rachael Steven
- Digital Content Producer: Henry Smith
- Senior Writer: Emma Tucker
- Senior Writer: Rebecca Fulleylove
- Senior Writer: Aimee McLaughlin
- Staff Writer: Megan Williams
- Marketing Manager: Rahila Ehsan
- Account Director: Emma Underhill
- Patrick Burgoyne (February 1999 to February 2019)
- Lewis Blackwell (July 1995 to February 1999)
- "Winners of The Annual 2019". Creative Review. Retrieved 2019-09-18.
- "The Photography Annual - celebrating great images". Creative Review. Retrieved 2019-09-18.
- Twitter, Press Gazette (2007-01-26). "Creative Review 'sells soul' for £15,000". Press Gazette. Retrieved 2019-09-18.
- Davies, Laura. "Editor's Desk: Patrick Burgoyne, Creative Review". www.prweek.com. Retrieved 2019-09-18.
- "CR Is Going Bimonthly". Creative Review. Retrieved 2019-09-18.
- Burgoyne, Patrick (2018-04-04). "Introducing the new (and old) Creative Review". Creative Review. Retrieved 2019-09-18.
- "Xeim: Excellence in marketing". Centaur Media. Retrieved 2019-09-18.
- "CR podcast episode 19: Patrick Burgoyne on 20 years as Editor of CR". Creative Review. 2019-02-06. Retrieved 2019-09-18.