|Founder||Gustavus Dedman Crain Jr.|
|Headquarters||Detroit, Michigan, United States|
|Keith Evans Crain, Christoper Crain|
Crain's Cleveland Business
Crain's Chicago Business
Crain's New York Business
Gustavus Dedman (G.D.) Crain Jr., previously the city editor of the Louisville Herald newspaper, founded Crain Communications in Louisville, Kentucky, in 1916, publishing two papers: Class (which later became BtoB) and Hospital Management (sold in 1952). The staff moved to Chicago later in 1916. Advertising Age was founded in 1930, with Sidney R. Bernstein as its first editor. The company changed its name to Crain Communications in 1969.
G D. Crain died in 1973 and was succeeded by his widow, Gertrude Crain, who chaired the company until 1996. Under her watch, the company grew to have 27 newspapers and magazines. She was replaced as chairman by her son Keith Crain in 1997. Following his father's death, Rance Crain became president of Crain Communications in 1974.
As of 2012, Crain has approximately 30 business, trade and consumer publications and related Web sites in North America, Europe and Asia, with over 850 employees in 14 locations spanning those continents.
In 2001 the company relocated its corporate headquarters to the Brewery Park complex on Gratiot Avenue in downtown Detroit, as part of a move to consolidate its Detroit-based employees into one facility.
Also known as Ad Age, Advertising Age was founded in 1930. It includes a weekly newspaper, a website, electronic newsletters, audio podcasts, and blogs. While owned by a Chicago-based publisher, Advertising Age is based in New York City.
Detroit-based Automotive News was founded in 1925 by Slocum Publishing, later bought by Crain Communications in 1971. The weekly magazine covers local automotive business news, including engineering, design, production and suppliers. The trade magazine also covers international automotive news with Automotive News Europe, Automobilwoche (a German magazine for automotive executives), and Automotive News China. The audience of Automotive News primarily consists of automobile dealers.
Autoweek, originally a bi-weekly motorsports newsletter, was purchased by Crain Communications in 1977 and eventually became an auto enthusiast magazine in 1986. The magazine covers vehicle reviews, trends, new products, racing, personalities, auto show coverage and more. Its website provides breaking news, spy photos, photo galleries, and podcasts.
Crain's Cleveland BusinessEdit
Crain's Cleveland Business is a weekly newspaper that provides local business news and information to Cleveland's business executives.
Crain's Chicago BusinessEdit
First published in 1978, Crain's Chicago Business is a weekly newspaper that provides local business news and information to Chicago's business executives. The publication's website has over 175,000 registered users, and print circulation is over 50,000.
Crain's Detroit BusinessEdit
Crain's Detroit Business serves Southeast Michigan’s business community with pertinent news and information. Industry coverage includes health care, banking/finance, sports, manufacturing, government/public policy, technology, education, real estate, law, entrepreneurship, advertising/marketing, defense, services, retail, food, hospitality/tourism, life sciences, energy, and transportation.
Crain's New York BusinessEdit
Crain's New York Business publishes daily and weekly digital and print editions of local business news. It provides news on each week's issues, top stories, advertising and marketing, banking, economy, education, health care, hospitality and tourism, human resources, media and entertainment, politics, real estate, restaurants, retail/apparel, small business, insider, health pulse, and corrections.
Crain Communications acquired Modern Healthcare from McGraw-Hill in 1976. Modern Healthcare offers a weekly print magazine, website, four daily e-newsletters ("Modern Healthcare AM," "Daily Dose," "Daily Finance," and "Health IT Strategist"), and emails that report on healthcare business news and trends. Modern Healthcare news can be accessed through daily e-newsletter, email, social media channels and website.
Pensions & InvestmentsEdit
Founded in 1973, Pensions & Investments targets pension, portfolio, and investment management executives. It has a daily email newsletter with 23,000 subscribers.
- "Locations". Crain Communications. Retrieved 28 June 2020.
- Klein, David (14 June 2010). "Growing up in the glow of technology". BtoB Online. Archived from the original on November 3, 2013. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- "G.D. Crain Jr. Dies at 88; Published Advertising Age", The New York Times, 17 December 1973.
- "Crain Communications, Inc". Funding Universe. Retrieved 9 March 2012.
- Pogrebin, Robin (23 July 1996). "Gertrude Crain, 85, Chairwoman Of Business Publishing Company". The New York Times.
- "Crain Communications Inc". Hoover's. Retrieved 9 March 2012.
- "Crain Communications To Move Its Corporate Headquarters" (Press release). Crain Communications. January 15, 2001. Retrieved 28 June 2020 – via The Auto Channel.
- Rondon, Michael (2 October 2013). "BtoB Magazine Becomes Part of Ad Age". Folio:. Retrieved 28 June 2020.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- "Company Overview of Advertising Age". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- "Automotive News Articles". Access My Library. Gale. Archived from the original on 2 May 2012. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- "Automotive News". HighBeam Research. Archived from the original on 7 January 2012. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- "Crain Communications, Inc". Finding Universe. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- "AutoWeek Magazine Names New Publisher, Publishing Director and Sales Manager". The Free Library. Archived from the original on 12 October 2013. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- "Advertise With Us". Crain's Cleveland Business.
- "Advertise With Us". Crain's Chicago Business.
- "Company Overview of Crain's New York Business". Bloomberg Businessweek. Archived from the original on 13 March 2011. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- "Modern Healthcare". InsideView. Archived from the original on 14 May 2013. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- "About Us". Pensions & Investments.