Craigieburn railway station
Northbound view in October 2007
|Location||Potter Street, Craigieburn|
|Distance||26.10 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Fare zone||Myki zone 2|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||22 July 1872|
|Rebuilt||2006 - 2010|
|Passengers (2008-2009)||0.576 million|
|Passengers (2009-2010)||0.623 million 8.16%|
|Passengers (2010-2011)||0.698 million 12.04%|
|Passengers (2011-2012)||0.742 million 6.3%|
|Passengers (2012-2013)||Not measured|
|Passengers (2013-2014)||0.823 million 10.92%|
The railway through Craigieburn opened in 1872, as part of the North East railway to Wodonga. A small timber station building was provided, with goods facilities and a larger building later provided in 1878, of the same design as other small stations on the line. A larger timber station building was provided in 1920, on Platform 1.
The station had a passing loop, and was used to regularly cross trains from 1874, until the line was duplicated in 1886. A lever frame was provided on the down platform in 1899, and remained until moved to the new station building in 1922. A number of goods sidings were provided at the station, with the last siding removed in 1982. The old Hume Highway road overpass was opened in 1961, as part of the construction of the North East standard gauge project, replacing a level crossing. In 1988, the signal box was closed, with the station abolished as a block post, and all signals were removed.
The station was rebuilt in 2007 as a Premium station, as part of the extension of the electrified line from Broadmeadows, with a signal box, stabling sidings and crossover between lines also provided. Former train operator Connex began electrified train services to the station on 30 September 2007.
In April 2009, the building on Platform 1 was demolished, and rebuilt to a similar design to Platform 2.
Train maintenance facilityEdit
A large new train maintenance facility was built in 2012.
Platforms & servicesEdit
Craigieburn has two side platforms. It is serviced by Metro Trains' Craigieburn line and V/Line Seymour line services. Metro Trains generally use Platform 2 with northbound V/Line services often crossing to Platform 1 to pass stabled Metro Trains services.
- Craigieburn line: all stations services to Flinders Street
- Seymour line: V/Line services to Seymour & Southern Cross
Broadmeadows Bus Service operates six routes to and from Craigieburn station:
- 528: to Craigieburn South
- 529: to Craigieburn North
- 532: to Broadmeadows station
- 533: to Craigieburn North
- 537: to Craigieburn West
- 544: to Roxburgh Park station
Dyson's Bus Services operates one route via Craigieburn station:
- 953: to Broadmeadows station (Saturday and Sunday mornings only)
- "Train Station Patronage FY2008-2014" (XLS). Public Transport Victoria. 14 May 2015. Archived from the original on 30 March 2016. Retrieved 1 November 2016. (access from )
- Craigieburn Vicsig
- Turton, Keith W (1973). Six And A Half Inches From Destiny. The first hundred years of the Melbourne-Wodonga Railway 1873-1973. Australian Railway Historical Society. pp. 87, 125. ISBN 0-85849-012-9.
- Andrew Waugh. "Victorian Station Histories - Craigieburn" (PDF). www.vrhistory.com. Retrieved 2008-12-24.
- "Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. May 1988. p. 155.
- "New Timetable to Improve Metropolitan Train Services". Media Release: Minister for Public Transport. www.dpc.vic.gov.au. Archived from the original on 19 May 2011. Retrieved 24 December 2008.
- Craigieburn Signal Box Vicsig
- Craigieburn Train Maintenance Facility Archived 17 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine John Holland
- Craigieburn Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Seymour - Melbourne timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 528 Craigieburn Station - Craigieburn Central SC Public Transport Victoria
- Route 529 Craigieburn - Craigieburn North via Craigieburn Central SC Public Transport Victoria
- Route 532 Craigieburn - Broadmeadows via Upfield Station Public Transport Victoria
- Route 533 Craigieburn Station - Craigieburn North via Hanson Rd Public Transport Victoria
- Route 537 Craigieburn Station - Craigieburn West via Craigieburn Central SC Public Transport Victoria
- Route 544 Craigieburn - Roxburgh Park Public Transport Victoria
- Route 952 Night bus: City - Footscray - Maribyrnong - Airport West - Gladstone Park - Broadmeadows Public Transport Victoria