Courtney Young (born 11 February 1955) is a Caymanian cricket umpire who sits on the ICC Associates and Affiliates Umpire Panel. He made his first-class umpiring debut in 2004, and has since regularly umpired in International Cricket Council (ICC) tournaments.
|Born||11 February 1955|
|FC umpired||4 (2004–2007)|
Source: CricketArchive, 12 May 2015
Young was born in Jamaica in 1955. One of twelve siblings, he grew up in Clarendon, and went on to attend Glenmuir High School, subsequently studying surveying at the College of Arts, Science and Technology (now the University of Technology). His work as a land surveyor first brought him to the Cayman Islands in 1984, to work on the Cayman Brac airport, and he emigrated permanently in 1987, taking up a surveying job with the Caymanian government. Although he had played club cricket in both Jamaica and the Cayman Islands, Young later concentrated on umpiring, and in 1995 became the inaugural president of the Cayman Islands Cricket Umpires Association (CICUA). He relinquished the position in 2012.
Having previously only umpired domestically, Young made his umpiring debut at an international tournament in 2000, standing in the inaugural edition of the Americas Championship. He officiated in the 2004 edition of the same tournament, held in July 2004, and later in the month was selected to make his first-class umpiring debut, standing alongside another Caymanian, Hubert Smythe, in the 2004 Intercontinental Cup fixture between Bermuda and the United States. The pair also umpired the Bermuda–Canada fixture in Toronto the following month. Young went on to umpire two more first-class matches, both of which were Intercontinental Cup home matches for Canada – against Kenya in July 2006 and against the United Arab Emirates in July 2007. He has umpired in at least one international tournament in every year since, regularly standing in ICC Americas tournaments, and also umpired at the 2012 Under-19 World Cup in Australia. Young has served on the 11-member ICC Associates and Affiliates Umpire Panel since 2011, and was most recently re-appointed in January 2015, as one of two representatives from the Americas region (alongside American umpire Sameer Bandekar).
- (10 May 2006). "Cricket 'In the Blood'" – CaymanNetNews. Retrieved from ZoomInfo, 12 May 2015.
- (31 July 2012). "Courtney stalks Aussie stumps" – CompassCayman.com. Retrieved 12 May 2015.
- Courtney Young as umpire in miscellaneous matches – CricketArchive. Retrieved 12 May 2015.
- Courtney Young as umpire in first-class matches – CricketArchive. Retrieved 12 May 2015.
- Courtney Young as umpire in under-19 ODI matches – CricketArchive. Retrieved 12 May 2015.
- (7 January 2015). "ICC announces Associate and Affiliate Panel of Umpires for 2015" Archived 18 May 2015 at the Wayback Machine – International Cricket Council. Retrieved 12 May 2015.
- "Los Angeles gets ready to host ICC WCL Division 4 event". International Cricket Council. Archived from the original on 21 October 2016. Retrieved 20 October 2016. Cite uses deprecated parameter