Cottondale is an unincorporated community in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama, United States, now encompassed in the eastern suburbs of Tuscaloosa. The ZIP Code is 35453. Alternative spellings include Cotton Dale, Kennedale, Kennidale and Konnidale.
Location of Cottondale in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama.
|• Total||3.48 sq mi (9.01 km2)|
|• Land||3.46 sq mi (8.96 km2)|
|• Water||0.02 sq mi (0.05 km2)|
|Elevation||344 ft (105 m)|
|• Total||2,095 (Male 4,328; Female 4,379)|
| • Estimate |
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||116690|
Cottondale was the site of cotton mills where the Knights of Labor had some success in organizing drives in the late 1880s; and where "Mother" Jones worked in 1904 while studying conditions for working women and children in the South.
Little girls and boys, barefooted, walked up and down between the endless rows of spindles, reaching thin little hands into the machinery to repair snapped threads.... Tiny babies of six years old with faces of sixty did an eight-hour shift for ten cents a day.... The machines, built in the north, were built low for the hands of little children.
Cottondale was originally called Kennedale in honor of Joseph Kennedy, one of the owners of a local cotton mill. In 1876, the name was changed to Cottondale for the cotton mill.
In 2016 Cottondale's population was 3,546 people with a median age of 35.7 and a median household income of $50,063 USD.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jul 17, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Cottondale". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- United States Postal Service (2012). "USPS - Look Up a ZIP Code". Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- Nies, Judith. Nine women: portraits from the American radical tradition Berkeley: University of California Press, 2002; p. 112-13
- Foscue, Virginia (1989). Place Names in Alabama. Tuscaloosa: The University of Alabama Press. p. 41. ISBN 0-8173-0410-X.
- "Cottondale, Alabama". Data USA. Retrieved 2019-04-02.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
|This Alabama state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|