Coronary thrombosis is the formation of a blood clot inside a blood vessel of the heart. This blood clot restricts blood flow within the heart. It is associated with narrowing of blood vessels subsequent to clotting. The condition is considered as a type of ischaemic heart disease, also known as a heart attack or myocardial infarction.
Thrombosis in the heart can lead to a myocardial infarction. Coronary thrombosis and myocardial infarction are sometimes used as synonyms, although this is technically inaccurate as the thrombosis refers to the blocking of blood vessels, while the infarction refers to the tissue death due to the consequent loss of blood flow to the heart tissue. The heart contains many connecting blood vessels, and depending upon the location of the thrombosis, the infarction may cause no symptoms. Coronary thrombosis is caused by atherosclerosis. This is when there is build up of cholesterol and fats in the artery walls. The blood will clot because there is not enough room for it to flow. The main causes of coronary thrombosis are high LDL cholestrol, smoking, sedentary lifestyle, and hypertension. Symptoms are sharp pains around the chest area, breathing difficulties, dizziness, and fainting. This is treated by taking Aspirin, Nitrates, or Beta Blockers.
Notable people who died of coronary thrombosisEdit
- Myocardial infarction (Heart attack)
- "Thrombosis/Coronary Thrombosis".
- Edward C. Klatt MD. "Atherosclerosis". utah.edu.
- Lüscher TF, Steffel J, Eberli FR, et al. (February 2007). "Drug-eluting stent and coronary thrombosis: biological mechanisms and clinical implications". Circulation. 115 (8): 1051–8. doi:10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.106.675934. PMID 17325255.
- Pope, John (November 15, 2013). "JFK assassination conspiracy: Former FBI agent Guy Banister was on fringes of investigation". The Times-Picayune. New Orleans. Retrieved April 26, 2017.
- "(Frank) Murphy's Law". hourdetroit.com.
- "Anne Sullivan". Wikipedia. 2017-09-18.
- "Nikola Tesla Timeline from Tesla Universe". Tesla Universe. Retrieved 16 January 2017.