Cork South-East (Dáil constituency)
Cork South-East was a parliamentary constituency represented in Dáil Éireann, the lower house of the Irish parliament or Oireachtas from 1937 to 1948. The constituency elected 3 deputies (Teachtaí Dála, commonly known as TDs) to the Dáil, using the single transferable vote form of proportional representation (PR-STV).
|Former Dáil Éireann|
|County/City council||County Cork|
The constituency was created under the Electoral (Revision of Constituencies) Act 1935, for the 1937 general election to the Dáil Éireann. It succeeded the old Cork East constituency. It was abolished under the Electoral (Amendment) Act 1947, when it was replaced by the new constituency of Cork South.
It consisted of the District electoral divisions of:
- "Ballincollig, Ballintemple, Ballycotton, Ballyfeard, Ballyfoyle, Ballygarvan, Ballymartle, Ballynaglogh, Ballyspillane, Bishopstown, Blackpool, Blarney, Caherlag, Carrigaline (Cork), Carrigaline (Kinsale), Carrignavar, Carrigrohane Beg, Carrigtwohill, Castlemartyr, Clonmult, Cloyne, Cobh Rural, Corkbeg, Cullen, Dangan, Douglas, Dripsey, Dunderrow, Dungourney, Farrenbrien, Firmount, Garryvoe, Glenville, Greenfort, Ightermurragh, Inch, Inishkenny, Killeagh (Cork), Kilmonoge, Kilpatrick, Kinure, Knockantota, Knockraha, Lehenagh, Liscleary, Lisgoold, Matehy, Middleton Rural, Mogeely, Monkstown Rural, Nohaval, Ovens, Rathcooney, Riverstown, Rostellan, St. Mary's, Templebodan, Templebreedy, Templemichael, Templenacarriga and Whitechurch and the Urban Districts of Cobh, Midleton and Passage West in the administrative county of Cork".
|Teachtaí Dála (TDs) for Cork South-East 1937–1948|
Note: The columns in this table are used only for presentational purposes, and no significance should be attached to the order of columns. For details of the order in which seats were won at each election, see the detailed results of that election.
1944 general electionEdit
|1944 general election: Cork South-East|
|Fianna Fáil||Martin Corry||8,038||26.5||1||1|
|Fianna Fáil||Seán McCarthy||5,155||17.0||2|
|Fine Gael||William Broderick||5,350||17.6||3|
|Labour Party||Dan Desmond||1,636||5.4|
|Labour Party||David Barry||1,603||5.3|
|Electorate: ? Valid: 30,353 Quota: 7,589 Turnout:|
1943 general electionEdit
|1943 general election: Cork South-East|
|Fianna Fáil||Martin Corry||8,767||26.7||1||1|
|Fine Gael||William Broderick||6,123||18.6||2|
|Labour Party||Thomas Looney||2,755||8.4||3|
|Fianna Fáil||Seán McCarthy||3,374||10.3|
|Fine Gael||Edmond Carey||2,644||8.0|
|Labour Party||Patrick O'Brien||2,248||6.8|
|Electorate: ? Valid: 32,891 Quota: 8,223 Turnout:|
1938 general electionEdit
|1938 general election: Cork South-East|
|Fine Gael||Brook Brasier||8,535||26.8||1||1|
|Fianna Fáil||Martin Corry||7,701||24.2||2|
|Labour Party||Jeremiah Hurley||5,872||18.4||3|
|Fianna Fáil||Eoin "the Pope" O'Mahony||5,175||16.2|
|Fine Gael||Edmond Carey||4,597||14.4|
|Electorate: ? Valid: 31,880 Quota: 7,971 Turnout:|
1937 general electionEdit
|1937 general election: Cork South-East|
|Fine Gael||Brook Brasier||8,594||27.7||1||1|
|Fianna Fáil||Martin Corry||7,567||24.4||2|
|Labour Party||Jeremiah Hurley||6,720||21.7||3|
|Fine Gael||William Broderick||4,818||15.5|
|Fianna Fáil||M. Leahy||3,315||10.7|
|Electorate: ? Valid: 31,014 Quota: 7,754 Turnout:|
- "Electoral (Revision of Constituencies) Act, 1935: First Schedule (Revised constituencies)". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 2 March 2009.
- "Electoral (Amendment) Act, 1947: First Schedule (Constituencies)". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 2 March 2009.
- Walker, Brian M, ed. (1992). Parliamentary election results in Ireland, 1918–92. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy. ISBN 0-901714-96-8. ISSN 0332-0286.
- "General election 1937: Cork South–East". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 2 March 2009.
- "General election 1938: Cork South–East". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 2 March 2009.
- "General election 1943: Cork South–East". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 2 March 2009.
- "General election 1944: Cork South–East". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 2 March 2009.