Copley, West Yorkshire
Copley is a village in the metropolitan borough of Calderdale, in the county of West Yorkshire, England, south of Halifax and east of Sowerby Bridge. It is situated by the River Calder and the Calder and Hebble Navigation canal.
Copley from Greetland
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Today the village has a hairdressers, a health spa, a garage, Land Rover and Camper Van dealerships and one pub, The Volunteer Arms. St Stephens Church, built in 1861-1865 by Colonel Edward Akroyd for the workers at his textile mill is an early work of the local architect William Henry Crossland.
The village has two sports clubs, Copley Cricket Club and the Old Rishworthian rugby team. Both clubs are well established and Old Rishworthians currently play in Yorkshire 2 (level 8) of the RFU National League structure. Both clubs are located in picturesque settings with the Calder and Hebble Navigation to the north and the River Calder to the south. The main Leeds to Manchester railway line is near both grounds. Sporting events are held at both locations, as well as various other special functions throughout the year.
One of the key computer data centres for Lloyds Banking Group is located a few miles outside the village. This was formerly the main data centre for HBOS before the merger between Lloyds and HBOS.
- Burgess, Neil (2014). The lost railways of Yorkshire's West Riding. The central section : Bradford, Halifax, Huddersfield, Leeds, Wakefield. Catrine: Stenlake. p. 92. ISBN 9781840336573.
- "Copley Cutz Halifax". Yell.co.uk. Retrieved 26 March 2020.
- "Stonelake of Halifax". Stonelake of Halifax. Retrieved 26 March 2020.
- "Volunteer Arms". Halifax Courier. Retrieved 26 March 2020.
- "St Stephen's Church, Copley, West Yorkshire". Churches Conservation Trust. Retrieved 26 March 2020.
- "Main Office Locations". Lloyds Banking Group. Retrieved 26 March 2020.
- "Lloyds is 'one of the best places to work' in the UK". Halifax Courier. 6 July 2018. Retrieved 6 March 2020.
- "Copley Primary Scholl". Primary School. Retrieved 26 March 2020.
- "Admissions Policy" (PDF). Ryburn Valley High School. Retrieved 26 March 2020.
Media related to Copley, West Yorkshire at Wikimedia Commons
|This West Yorkshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|