Consultative Assembly (Oman)
The Consultative Assembly (Arabic: مجلس الشورى; transcription: Majlis al-Shura) is the lower house of the Council of Oman. It is the only legislative body in Oman of which all members are democratically elected. The other chamber of the parliament is the Council of State (Majlis al-Dawla).
|Founded||3 November 1981|
Khalid Al Mawali
since 28 October 2011
|25 October 2015|
The assembly consists of 84 elected members. Each wilayah (province) in Oman is entitled to at least one representative in the assembly. Provinces with a population of 30,000 or above are represented by two members, while provinces with fewer than 30,000 inhabitants are represented by only one member. The winning candidates are the ones who obtain the higher number of votes according to the official election results. Oman does not allow political parties. Thus, only non-partisans have been elected.
As mentioned in the Basic Law of the State (de facto constitution), the Council of Oman has some legislative and oversight powers. The Council of Ministers (the main executive branch) must have to refer draft laws to the Assembly, which has to approve or amend it within a maximum of three months from the date of referring. Then it is referred to the State Council which has to approve or amend it. If the two chambers disagree, they take vote to resolve the difference. However, any bill passes both chambers, it must be approved and signed by the Sultan to become a law. The assembly has the exclusive power of interpellation to any of the services ministers.
- Must be an Omani national by origin.
- Must have aged not less than thirty years of the Gregorian calendar on the commencement date of candidature.
- With a level of education that is not less than the General Education Diploma.
- Never sentenced for a felony or crime involving moral turpitude or trust, even if he is rehabilitated.
- Enrolled in the election register.
- Not affiliated to a security or military authority.
- Not interdicted by a judicial judgment.
- Not suffering from a mental illness.
- It is permissible for whoever completes his membership term to run again as a candidate for Majlis al Shura.