Constance (1998 film)
Constance is a 1998 erotic film "for women," directed by Knud Vesterskov and produced by Puzzy Power, a division of Lars von Trier's film company Zentropa. It was the first hardcore pornographic film ever to have been produced by an established mainstream film studio.
|Directed by||Knud Vesterskov|
Peter Aalbæk Jensen
Lars von Trier
|Written by||Knud Vesterskov|
|Cinematography||Steen Møller Rasmussen|
|Edited by||Rikke Malene Nielsen|
Team Video Plus (Denmark)|
Constance is based on the Puzzy Power Manifesto developed by Zentropa in 1997, and was the first in a series of pornographic films aimed particularly at a female audience. The others would be Zentropa's Pink Prison (1999) and All About Anna (2005).
A young woman, Constance (Anaïs), arrives at the mansion of the experienced Lola (Katja Kean), where she is initiated into the mysteries of sexuality. The story is told in flashback via a framing device with lyrical diary excerpts and narration read by mainstream actresses Christiane Bjørg Nielsen and Hella Joof. (In the English-language version, narration is by Danish actress Susan Olsen and Helle Fagralid).
Constance became a considerable success, and generated considerable hype, especially in Scandinavia. It was nominated for three AVN Awards: Best Art Direction - Video; Best Music; and Best Videography. The reaction of film critics was "mixed."
In September 2007, German weekly magazine Stern wrote: "Women too like to see other people having sex. What they don’t like is the endless close-ups of hammering bodyparts without a story. Lars von Trier is the first to have realised this and produced valuable quality porn films for women."
- AVN Europe, November 2007, page 13
- Puzzy Power Manifesto text
- Yvonne Tasker, Fifty Contemporary Filmmakers, Routledge, 2002, p.367 ISBN 0-415-18974-8
- Jack Stevenson, Fleshpot: cinema's sexual myth makers & taboo breakers, 2nd edition, Critical Vision, 2000, ISBN 1-900486-12-1
- Film Appeals Committee: Complaints regarding Films "Constance", "Pink Prison" and Zazel: The Scent of Love Archived 2010-02-15 at the Wayback Machine., text of the Norwegian Media Authority regarding censorship, 12 March 2006 (in Norwegian)
- Stern #40, 27 September 2007