Episcopal Conference of Italy
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Italian Episcopal Conference (Italian: Conferenza Episcopale Italiana) is the episcopal conference of the Italian bishops of the Catholic Church, the official assembly of the bishops in Italy. The conference was founded in 1971 and carries out certain tasks and has the authority to set the liturgical norms for the Mass. Episcopal conferences receive their authority under universal law or particular mandates. Its president has been Angelo Bagnasco since his appointment by Pope Benedict XVI on 7 March 2007.
It is the only episcopal conference for which the pope as Primate appoints the President and Secretary-General. In almost all other conferences the president is elected, while the secretary-general is elected in all others.[a] A public domain version of the Bible in Italian is published by the Conferenza Episcopale Italiana.
List of Presidents of the Italian Episcopal ConferenceEdit
- Ildefonso Schuster (1952–1953)
- Adeodato Giovanni Piazza (1953–1954)
- Maurilio Fossati (1954–1958)
- Giuseppe Siri (1959–1965)
- A temporary committee of cardinals with collective presidency: Giovanni Colombo, Ermenegildo Florit, Giovanni Urbani (1965–1966)
- Giovanni Urbani (1966–1969)
- Antonio Poma (1969–1979)
- Anastasio Ballestrero (1979–1985)
- Ugo Poletti (1985–1991)
- Camillo Ruini (1991–2007)
- Angelo Bagnasco (2007–2017)
- Gualtiero Bassetti (2017–present)
Secretaries-General of the Italian Episcopal ConferenceEdit
The official that deals with the day-to-day affairs of the Conference is the Secretary-General.
- The exceptions are Belgium, where the archbishop of Mechelen-Brussels is president ex officio, and the Latin church in Arab lands where the Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem is always president.
- Galeazzi, Giacomo (8 April 2013). "Pope: Italian bishops to elect their own president and secretary". Vatican Insider. Retrieved 8 April 2013.
- BibleGateway.com, Version Information, accessed 28 December 2018
- "Nomina del Segretario Generale della Conferenza Episcopale Italiana". Rinunce e Nomine, 30.12.2013. Holy See Press Office. Retrieved January 3, 2014.