Concept (board game)
Concept is a deduction party board game released in 2013. The game was designed by Alain Rivollet and Gaëtan Beaujannot and published by Repos Production. It has collected multiple awards and nominations including the Jeu de l'Année prize in Cannes in 2014.
|Designer(s)||Gaëtan Beaujannot, Alain Rivollet|
|Illustrator(s)||Éric Azagury, Cédric Chevalier|
|Genre(s)||Board game |
|Playing time||40 minutes|
Later, in 2018 the kids edition of the game Concept Kids: Animals was released tailored for children aged 4 and up.
Concept is a guessing game where players have to guess a concept, such as a word, a name, or a phrase. The players who know the target concept provide hints by marking its attributes and attributes of related concepts on the game board with different-coloured markers, while other players guess. Giving verbal hints is not allowed.
The official rules state that the game is played with teams of two players each. On each team's turn, they draw a card and choose a concept from there. Each card has three difficulty levels (blue, red and black) with three concepts each.
The team then places a green question mark on the picture illustrating the main category of the concept. They can then further specify the concept with green cubes defining the attributes of the concept and optionally also specify related concepts with red, blue, yellow and black exclamation points and accordingly coloured cubes.
The other teams then try to guess the concept. The player who guesses correctly gains one double VP (Victory Point) token while the team who chose the concept gain one single VP token each. The game then proceeds with the next team.
Once every double VP token has been used, the game ends. The player with the most VPs wins.
The game rules state that using teams is not mandatory, the game can also be played with each player playing against each other.
The game received generally positive reviews with Board Game Quest suggesting that it provides "a good amount of fun in a very accessible game" and Board Games Land describing it as "a perfect alternative to Charades".
Awards & NominationsEdit
- 2015 Vuoden Peli Party Game of the Year Nominee
- 2015 Gouden Ludo Nominee
- 2014 Tric Trac Nominee
- 2014 Spiel des Jahres Nominee
- 2014 Spiel der Spiele Hit mit Freunden Recommended
- 2014 Lys Grand Public Winner
- 2014 Lys Grand Public Finalist
- 2014 Juego del Año Finalist
- 2014 Hra roku Winner
- 2014 Hra roku Nominee
- 2014 Golden Geek Best Party Board Game Nominee
- 2014 As d'Or - Jeu de l'Année Winner
- 2014 As d'Or - Jeu de l'Année Nominee
- 2013 Meeples' Choice Nominee
- 2013 Golden Geek Best Party Board Game Nominee
- Mastrangeli, Tony (2014-12-30). "Concept Review". Board Game Quest. Retrieved 2019-11-13.
- "Best Christmas Board Games of 2019". Board Games Land. 2019-10-06. Retrieved 2019-11-13.
- "2015 winners of Vuoden Peli (game of the year)". Lautapelit.fi. Retrieved 2019-11-12.
- "2015 | Gouden Ludo". goudenludo.be. Retrieved 2019-11-12.
- "Le Tric Trac d'Or 2014 est". Tric Trac (in French). Retrieved 2019-11-12.
- Budde, Joachim (2014-07-14). "Brettspiel-Kritikerpreis: Das sind die besten Spiele des Jahres". Spiegel Online. Retrieved 2019-11-12.
- "2014 Hra roku Winner | Board Game Honor | BoardGameGeek". boardgamegeek.com. Retrieved 2019-11-12.
- "2014 Golden Geek Best Party Board Game Nominee | Board Game Honor | BoardGameGeek". boardgamegeek.com. Retrieved 2019-11-12.
- "As d'Or Jeu de l'Année 2014: les résultats !". www.jeuxdenim.be. Retrieved 2019-11-12.
- huzonfirst (2014-06-21). "2013 Meeples Choice Awards: Final Results". The Opinionated Gamers. Retrieved 2019-11-13.
- "2013 Golden Geek Best Party Board Game Nominee | Board Game Honor | BoardGameGeek". boardgamegeek.com. Retrieved 2019-11-12.
|This game-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|