This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Commodore OS (full name: Commodore OS Vision) was a free-to-download Linux distribution developed by Commodore USA and intended for Commodore PCs. The distribution was based on Linux Mint, available only for x86-64 architectures, and used the GNOME 2 desktop environment. The first public beta version was released on 11 November 2011. It has been continually updated through Commodore OS Vision 0.8 Beta and never came out of beta phase. 1.0 did come out of Beta and was released on DistroWatch.com.
|Working state||Discontinued |
|Source model||Open source|
|Latest release||(Beta) 9 / 3 July 2012 |
|Kernel type||Monolithic (Linux)|
|Default user interface||GNOME 2|
|License||GNU General Public License, others|
|Official website||Obsolete (dead) Commodore OS Vision|
This operating system is no longer in development. The company is now closed and its web site is no longer active.
The first beta release of the OS was released on 12 November 2011, announced as an operating system for "pre-installation on all future Commodore USA hardware". Commodore USA went defunct in 2013, the website hosting the OS is down and its last release was on 9 July 2012. However, it continues to have a small community support - with an unofficial 32 bit version of the operating system released on 22 February 2012.
Commodore OS was designed as a way to imitate the look and feel of Commodore's legacy systems, and as a complement to the all-in-one-keyboard style of the personal computer. Commodore OS includes a collection of software intended to imitate classic Commodore software.
It was fully compatible only to Commodore USA products often causing kernel panic on general PCs. An Improved Fusion version was promised but never released.
- "Commodore OS Vision Downloads". Commodore USA, LLC. Archived from the original on 13 July 2012. Retrieved 16 July 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Commodore OS Vision". DistroWatch. 11 November 2011. Retrieved 12 November 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 7 November 2011. Retrieved 9 April 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Commodore OS Website (Defunct)
- Commodore OS archive
- Customize Linux Mint in Commodore OS Vision [Italian]