Columbus Air Force Base
Columbus Air Force Base (IATA: CBM, ICAO: KCBM, FAA LID: CBM) is a United States Air Force base located in Columbus, Mississippi. The host unit at Columbus AFB is the 14th Flying Training Wing (14 FTW), which is a part of Air Education and Training Command (AETC).
|Columbus Air Force Base|
|Near Columbus, Mississippi in United States of America|
|Type||US Air Force Base|
|Owner||Department of Defense|
|Operator||US Air Force|
|Controlled by||Air Education and Training Command (AETC)|
|In use||1941–1946 and 1950 – present|
|Garrison||14th Flying Training Wing|
|Identifiers||IATA: CBM, ICAO: KCBM, FAA LID: CBM, WMO: 723306|
|Elevation||66.4 metres (218 ft) AMSL|
|Source: Federal Aviation Administration|
Columbus Air Force Base (AFB) was established in 1941, after the US War Department authorized a pilot training base in Columbus, Mississippi. It was originally named Kaye Field, after World War I flying ace Samuel Kaye, Jr., but confusion with nearby Key Field in Meridian, Mississippi led to it being renamed as Columbus Army Flying School. The base was deactivated after the end of World War II, but was reactivated four years later with the beginning of the Korean War.
In 1955, Columbus AFB was transferred to Strategic Air Command (SAC) and was occupied by the 4228th Strategic Wing, which later became the 454th Bombardment Wing. In 1969, Columbus AFB was trasnferred back to Air Training Command, and was occupied by the 3650th Pilot Training Wing, which became the 14th Flying Training Wing in 1972.
Units marked GSU are Geographically Separate Units, which although based at Columbus, are subordinate to a parent unit based at another location.
United States Air ForceEdit
- Nineteenth Air Force
- 14th Flying Training Wing
- 14th Comptroller Squadron
- 14th Operations Group
- 14th Operations Support Squadron
- 14th Student Squadron
- 37th Flying Training Squadron – T-6A Texan II
- 41st Flying Training Squadron – T-6A Texan II
- 43rd Flying Training Squadron
- 48th Flying Training Squadron – T-1A Jayhawk
- 49th Fighter Training Squadron – T-38C Talon
- 50th Flying Training Squadron – T-38C Talon
- 14th Mission Support Group
- 14th Civil Engineering Squadron
- 14th Communications Squadron
- 14th Contracting Squadron
- 14th Force Support Squadron
- 14th Logistics Readiness Squadron
- 14th Security Forces Squadron
- 14th Medical Group
- 14th Medical Operations Squadron
- 14th Medical Support Squadron
- 14th Flying Training Wing
Air Force Reserve Command (AFRC)
- "Airport Diagram – Buckley AFB (KBKF)" (PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. 23 May 2019. Retrieved 4 June 2019.
- "Columbus Air Force Base History". US Air Force. October 5, 2006. Retrieved March 8, 2019.
- "14th Comptroller Squadron". Columbus Air Force Base. US Air Force. 27 June 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2019.
- "14th Operations Group". US Air Force. October 11, 2012. Retrieved March 8, 2019.
- "14th Mission Support Group". US Air Force. June 27, 2013. Retrieved March 8, 2019.
- "14th Medical Group". Air Force Medical Service. Retrieved March 8, 2019.
- "43rd Flying Training Squadron (AFRC)". 340th Flying Training Group. US Air Force. 29 November 2016. Retrieved 9 June 2019.