Collard Greens (song)
"Collard Greens" is a song by American hip hop recording artist Schoolboy Q, released on June 11, 2013 as the lead single from his third studio album Oxymoron (2014). The song, produced by production team THC and co-produced by Gwen Bunn, features a guest appearance from his Black Hippy cohort and fellow American rapper Kendrick Lamar. The song has since peaked at number 92 on the Billboard Hot 100 and number 36 on the UK R&B Chart. It was met with generally positive reviews from music critics.
|Single by Schoolboy Q featuring Kendrick Lamar|
|from the album Oxymoron|
|Released||June 11, 2013|
|Schoolboy Q singles chronology|
|Kendrick Lamar singles chronology|
Schoolboy Q spoke to MTV about the song saying, "This is like the introduction to the album. This is just getting people excited and getting people ready for what's about to happen." The song's theme is based around smoking marijuana, even though the featured artist Lamar does not smoke.
Lamar wrote a couple of his lines in his verse in Spanish, along with a few in French. Q admitted to MTV that he didn't understand Lamar's verse and that he had no idea he was going to include a multilingual verse in the song.
"Collard Greens" was met with generally positive reviews from music critics. David Amidon of PopMatters said, "Collard Greens" "is a fantastic single, blending the irreverent wordplay of the Pharcyde or Camp Lo with the reggae-tinged g-funk of DJ Quik or Warren G." David Jeffries of AllMusic called the song brilliant. Stephen Weil of Tiny Mix Tapes praised the song's production and said, "Collard Greens" has a flashy guest verse by Kendrick Lamar and a terrific hook that makes it the most fun, replayable song on the album. Lizzie Plaugic of CMJ stated, the song "could’ve been just another easily forgotten earworm jam with a looming expiration date. But with TDE labelmate Kendrick Lamar lending his nasal-clogged flow to a rapid-fire Spanish-riddled verse and Q’s staccato stutter, the track still has legs. The only difference is that now, that plucking, hollow water-drop beat is instantly recognizable." Jason Lipshutz of Billboard stated, "the truly addictive component of "Collard Greens" is the subtle bounce of [Schoolboy Q's] cadence in the first half of his verses. The bisyllabic screech drives the thudding beat forward, and the technique is even more effective when Q returns after his pal Kendrick Lamar pops up to playfully spit bilingual game."
Craig Jenkins of Pitchfork Media praised the song's production. Richard Perry of No Ripcord said the song is, "a bouncy number defined by its bleeps, rubbery bass, Kendrick's multilingual spitting and Q’s penchant for getting wasted and bedding women." Joe Sweeney of Slant Magazine praised the "fresh-sounding" production of the song. Sam Kriss of TheLineOfBestFit called the song excellent. Michael Madden of Consequence of Sound said, ""Collard Greens" bustles like a multilingual block party." Omar Burgess of HipHopDX said the song has, "all the earmarks of a single but an execution that feels forced. A melodic hook and an intricate enough rhyme pattern power it, but the actual content isn’t particularly inventive."
Complex ranked "Collard Greens", number 28 on their list of the 50 best songs of 2013. Dave Bry elaborated saying, "It's like the Odd Couple. Kendrick is the neatnik Felix Unger to ScHoolboy's slovenly Oscar Madison. The studio is like the apartment they shared on the show—can't you just see Kendrick following a stumbling ScHoolboy around, trying to hold an ashtray under his blunt. Anyway, they both handle the throbbing, bouncy beat that producers THC and Gwen Bun made for them with aplomb, proving why the TDE formula works so well."
On August 7, 2013, Schoolboy Q appeared on BET's 106 & Park to premiere the music video for "Collard Greens. The video was directed by JeromeD, and features cameo appearances from fellow American rapper Macklemore and production duo Nez & Rio. The psychedelic video features Lamar and Q at a massive house and pool party, accompanied by an abundance of beautiful women. It features the artists mirrored in and out of special effects, such as being seen through a kaleidoscope and the picture being changed to negative. Schoolboy Q credits the video as being his first major record label, big budget music video. He also said he had shot a different video for it, but was unhappy with the final project and chose to shoot a new video.
On September 16, 2013, Schoolboy Q and Kendrick Lamar performed "Collard Greens", in New York for Vitamin Water and The Fader's Upcapped concert series. They also performed "Hands on the Wheel" and "Blessed", and featured their new TDE label-mate SZA. The next day they also performed the single on The Arsenio Hall Show. On October 15, 2013, Schoolboy Q and Lamar performed "Collard Greens" in a medley with Lamar's song "Money Trees" at the 2013 BET Hip Hop Awards. On January 28, 2014, Schoolboy Q performed the song, along with "Break the Bank" and "Man of the Year" on the season finale of DJ Skee's SKEE Live. Kendrick Lamar has performed "Collard Greens" at every show on the Damn tour.
|1.||"Collard Greens" (featuring Kendrick Lamar)||
|UK Singles (The Official Charts Company)||184|
|UK R&B (Official Charts Company)||36|
|US Billboard Hot 100||92|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||28|
|US Heatseekers Songs (Billboard)||9|
|United States (RIAA)||2× Platinum||2,000,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
|United States||June 11, 2013||Digital download|
|July 18, 2013||Mainstream urban radio|
|August 27, 2013||Rhythmic contemporary radio|
|Urban contemporary radio|
- "Collard Greens - ScHoolboy Q | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "ScHoolboy Q ft. Kendrick Lamar - Collard Greens | Listen". Djbooth.net. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- 07/01/2013 15:33:57 (2013-07-01). "Kendrick Lamar's Spanish Raps Shocked Schoolboy Q: 'I Had No Idea' - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV.com. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "Why Is Macklemore in ScHoolboy Q's Psychedelic 'Collard Greens' Video? | SPIN | SPIN Mix | Videos". Spin Media. 2013-08-08. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- Amidon, David. "ScHoolboy Q: Oxymoron". PopMatters. Retrieved 2014-03-17.
- David Jeffries (2014-02-25). "Oxymoron - ScHoolboy Q | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-03-17.
- Weil, Stephen. "Schoolboy Q - Oxymoron | Music Review". Tiny Mix Tapes. Retrieved 2014-03-17.
- Lizzie Plaugic. "Schoolboy Q - Oxymoron | Album Reviews". CMJ. Retrieved 2014-03-17.
- "ScHoolboy Q, 'Oxymoron': Track-By-Track Review". Billboard. 2014-02-25. Retrieved 2014-03-17.
- "Schoolboy Q: Oxymoron | Album Reviews". Pitchfork. 2014-02-28. Retrieved 2014-03-17.
- "Schoolboy Q: Oxymoron - Music Review". No Ripcord. 2014-03-04. Retrieved 2014-03-17.
- "Schoolboy Q: Oxymoron | Music Review". Slant Magazine. Retrieved 2014-03-17.
- Kriss, Sam (2014-02-25). "Album Review: ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron". The Line Of Best Fit. Retrieved 2014-03-17.
- Madden, Michael (2014-02-26). "Album Review: ScHoolboy Q – Oxymoron". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved 2014-03-17.
- Burgess, Omar (2014-02-25). "ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron | Read Hip Hop Reviews, Rap Reviews & Hip Hop Album Reviews". HipHop DX. Retrieved 2014-03-17.
- "28. ScHoolboy Q f/ Kendrick Lamar "Collard Greens" — The 50 Best Songs of 2013". Complex. 2013-12-02. Retrieved 2014-03-17.
- "Video: Schoolboy Q and Kendrick Lamar: "Collard Greens" | News". Pitchfork. 2013-08-07. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "Schoolboy Q Talks Collard Greens | 106 & Park: BET Top 10 Live | Videos". BET. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "Video: Schoolboy Q f. Kendrick Lamar, "Collard Greens"". The Fader. August 7, 2013. Retrieved August 8, 2013.
- "ScHoolboy Q ft. Kendrick Lamar - "Collard Greens" | Music Video". SoulCulture. 2013-08-07. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "Schoolboy Q, Kendrick Lamar "Collard Greens" Video". Complex. 2013-08-07. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "Video: ScHoolboy Q f/ Kendrick Lamar – 'Collard Greens'". Rap-Up.com. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "ScHoolboy Q & Kendrick Lamar Drop Trippy "Collard Greens" Video - New Video - Fuse". Fuse.tv. 2013-08-08. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- Brooks, Richard. "ScHoolboy Q featuring Kendrick Lamar – Collard Greens". Hypetrak. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "Watch ScHoolboy Q and Kendrick Lamar's video for "Collard Greens"". Consequence of Sound. 2013-08-07. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- Thiessen, Brock (2013-08-07). "Schoolboy Q - "Collard Greens" (ft. Kendrick Lamar) (video) • Music / Video •". Exclaim.ca. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "SchoolBoy Q Talks Upcoming Album 'Oxymoron,' and "Collard Greens" Video". TheSource. 2013-08-19. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "Best Hip-Hop Videos Of The Week, 8/4- 8/13 - Page 3 of 7 - XXL". Xxlmag.com. 2013-08-10. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "The 15 Best Hip-Hop Videos Of The Summer - Page 2 of 16 - XXL". Xxlmag.com. 2013-09-15. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "Schoolboy Q & Kendrick Lamar Perform "Collard Greens" Live". Complex. 2013-09-17. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "Kendrick Lamar Arsenio Hall Performance". Complex. 2013-09-18. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- Hughes, Josiah (2013-10-15). "Watch Kendrick Lamar, Rick Ross, Future, French Montana and More Perform at the BET Hip-Hop Awards • News •". Exclaim.ca. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- timsanchez818. "Ice Cube and Schoolboy Q Stop By For The Season Finale' Of SkeeLive". AllHipHop.com. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- Masley, Ed (July 13, 2017). "Kendrick Lamar launches DAMN. Tour in Glendale with triumphant one-man show of force". AZ Central. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- Zywietz, Tobias. "Chart Log UK". Zobbel.de. Tobias Zywietz. Retrieved March 9, 2014.
- "Official R&B Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company.
- "Schoolboy Q Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Schoolboy Q Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard.
- "American single certifications – Schoolboy Q – Collard Greens". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- "iTunes - Music - Collard Greens (feat. Kendrick Lamar) - Single by Schoolboy Q". Itunes.apple.com. Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- "Radio Industry News, Music Industry Updates, Arbitron Ratings, Music News and more!". FMQB. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "Urban/UAC Future Releases | R&B, Hip Hop, Release Schedule and Street Dates |". Allaccess.com. Retrieved 2013-08-25.