Coke Studio (Pakistani season 7)
The seventh season of the Pakistani music television series Coke Studio premiered on 21 September 2014. and aired it finale episode on 22 November 2014. Previously it was scheduled to premiere on 7 September 2014 but was delayed due to an ongoing political crisis which has caught the media attention everywhere. Season premiered under the tagline of Sound of the Nation.
|Coke Studio (Pakistani season 7)|
season 7 logo
|Country of origin||Pakistan|
|No. of episodes||7|
|Original network||see below|
|Original release||21 September |
(Previously announced on 7 September 2014) –
22 November 2014
Season seven is produced by Strings (band)  as previous seasons producer Rohail Hyatt quits on 22 January 2014. while Coca-Cola returns as an executive producer. The band's duo, Bilal Maqsood and Faisal Kapadia produced the show for the first time, while they were briefly appeared as a featured artists in season one and season two, the duo took three months to complete the production of series. Season featured twenty-three artists, twenty-two musicians and twenty-eight songs. Also season is revamped with new house bands which includes, musicians, backing vocalists and guest musicians.
Season Seven witnesses many changes ranging from production team to studio sets, from music closure to musicians and from last season's atypical music genres to the return of original music genres of show. After the quitting of Coke Studio Pakistan founder's Rohail Hyatt as a producer due to the personal reasons, String's Bilal Maqsood and Faisal Kapadia took the charge of season, bringing back the rock, folk, pop and sufi genres of Coke Studio, with the season's Pakistani featured artists, many artists reprise their appearances from the previous seasons. This season pays homage to the Sound of the Nation. In a series of firsts, Season 7 delve into new unexplored genres while also touching upon the role that film music has had in defining the musical history by visiting quintessentially Pakistani film music within Coke Studio stage. With the change in appearance, Coke Studio logo's color were reverted as Coke was painted with White and Studio was Black, with the 'i' in Studio referring to Coke bottle, painted with white.
With many new additions, Coke Studio endeavors to cultivate a sense of national pride and make the platform more accessible to a diverse audience of viewers. Season 7 also features locally and globally renowned Pakistani artists, popular Pakistani songs and performances that incorporate the use of traditional Pakistani instruments to create a tapestry of music that aptly represents the fabric of our nation.
- Abbas Ali Khan
- Abida Parveen
- Abrarul Haq
- Akhtar Chanal Zahri
- Fariha Pervez
- Humaira Channa
- Javed Bashir
- Jawad Ahmed
- Komal Rizvi
- Meesha Shafi
- Rahma Ali
- Rahat Fateh Ali Khan
- Sajjad Ali
- Ustad Rais Khan
- Zohaib Hassan
- Zoe Viccaji
- Ustad Tafu
- Jimmy Khan
- Usman Riaz
- Momin Durrani
- Naseer & Shahab
- Niazi Brothers
- Sara Haider
For season 7, following is the list of backing vocalist that serves vocal harmony with the lead vocalist. Momin Durrani and Sara Haider are the first artists who make their debut as a featured artist and also served as a back singers while Rachel returns to season 7 with her third appearance as a backing singer.
House Band (Personals)Edit
- Drums: Aahad Nayani
- Tabla & Dholak: Babar Ali Khanna
- Guitars: Imran Akhoond
- Piano, Synth and Keyboard: Jaffer Ali Zaidi
- Bass: Khalid Khan
- Percussion: Sikandar Mufti
Following is the list of Guest musicians that will support the Season 7 primary musicians, many guest musicians are from previous seasons, Ghulam Abbas, Shallum Xavier, Omran Shafique and Javed Iqbal are among them who served as the main musicians in previous seasons and now have a guest appearance in season seven.
- Aamir Zaki
- Adeel Bukhari
- Arsalan Rabbani
- Faraz Anwar
- Hamza Jafri
- Jaffer Hussain
- Mubashir Admani
- Omran Shafique
- Sajid Ali
- Shallum Xavier
- Tanweer Hussain
Following are the list of Strings band musicians, that contributed in this season along with Faisal and Bilal.
- Ghulam Abbas
- Javed Iqbal
- Kaleem Khan
- Saleem Khan
- Umer Daraz
Coke Studio returns, after the sudden and abrupt ending of season six, because of copyright issues and bids the farewell to longtime producer Rohail Hyatt. After Rohail departure, Coca-Cola approaches Strings band duo, Bilal Maqsood and Faisal Kapadia who had appeared as a featured artists in first two seasons. Shooting of Season 7 begins from May to July, while editing, development and progressive stages completes in July. In an interview with Dawn, Bilal said:
We’re going to stay true to the CS feel and continue to merge elements of folk with modern music. There are so many untapped musical treasures in Pakistan and we’re looking forward to exploring into them. At the same time, we’re hoping to bring back the oomph that has been missing from the show during the past few years. Coke Studio was spectacular up till Season 3 but after that, it lost out on its element of surprise. We plan to bring it back.
While talking to Instep Magazine, answering to a question Faisal said:
We had no idea how Rohail worked. Our interaction with the show, in the first two seasons, was restricted to our performances. During the first season, we weren’t comfortable with the arrangement and requested Rohail if we would play with our own band and it was just such a generous reaction on Rohail’s part to let us play with our band. Because now that we’ve worked with this CS7 house band for months, if someone comes in and wants to bring in their own band, we may not agree. Rohail said yes, but apart from that we didn’t know what else he did or how he ran the show. We made our own system…
Coca-Cola GM Rizwan Khan said that their aim was to:
"reinvent the way music can capture the spirit of Pakistan. Coke Studio season seven will discover the talent and variance that this nation has to offer. Coke Studio has enabled and empowered Pakistani musicians to express their talents and skills. Many new stars have emerged and the initiative has provided a unique platform for the fusion and learning of music".
|#||Release Date [N 1]||Song(s) performed||Artist(s)||Language(s)||Ref.|
|Title||In Nastaʿlīq [N 2]|
|1||20 September 2014||Sab Aakho Ali Ali||سب آکھو علی علی||Asrar||Punjabi|||
|2||Tum Naraz Ho||تم ناراض ہو||Sajjad Ali||Urdu|
|3||Lai Beqadaraan Naal Yaari||لائی بے قدراں نال یاری||Niazi Brothers||Punjabi|
|4||Mein Sufi Hoon||Abida Parveen & Ustad Raees Khan||Braj, Punjabi & Urdu|
|5||27 September 2014||Washmallay||وش ملّے||Komal Rizvi, Akhtar Chanal Zahri & Momin Durrani||Balochi & Brahui|||
|6||Phool Banro||پھول بنڑو||Humira Channa & Abbas Ali Khan||Marwari|
|9||4 October 2014||Jhoolay Laal||جھولے لال||Sajjad Ali & Fariha Pervez||Punjabi|||
|11||Nadiya||ندیا||Jimmy Khan & Rahma Ali||Urdu|
|13||11 October 2014||Shakar Wandaan Re||شکر ونڈاں رے||Asrar||Punjabi|||
|14||Ambwa Talay||امبوا تلے||Humaira Channa & Javed Bashir||Braj|
|15||Dheeray Dheeray||دھیرے دھیرے||Zohaib Hassan||Urdu|
|16||Bone Shaker||Usman Riaz|
|17||18 October 2014||Mujhay Baar Baar||مجھے بار بار||Abbas Ali Khan||Urdu|||
|18||Pehla Pyar||پہلا پیار||Jimmy Khan||Urdu|
|19||Mitti da Pehlwan||مٹّی دا پلوان||Jawad Ahmad||Punjabi|
|20||Kheryaan De Naal||کھیڑیاں||Niazi Brothers||Punjabi|
|21||15 November 2014||Yaad||یاد||Javed Bashir||Siraiki|||
|22||Chaap Tilak||چھاپ تلک||Abida Parveen & Rahat Fateh Ali Khan||Braj|
|23||Jaana||جاناں||Zohaib Hassan & Zoe Viccaji||Urdu|
|24||Descent to the Ocean Floor||Usman Riaz|
|25||22 November 2014||Suth Gaana||گانا سٹھ||Sajjad Ali||Punjabi|||
|26||Pani da Bulbula||بلبال دا پانی||Abrar-ul-Haq||Punjabi|
|27||Za Sta Pashan Na Yam||یم نه پشان سته ځه||Naseer And Shahab||Pashto|
|28||Hans Dhuni||Ustad Raees Khan|
|On-air Timings Schedule|
- ^1 Channel on which the episode went on-air.
- ^2 Prime time only represents the time of fresh episode and day that on airs on relative channel. Prime time episode always airs on Sunday but changes may be subjected.
- ^3 Repeat Timings 1 is the timing of relative episode that airs again after the fresh episode went onair.
- ^4 Repeat Timings 2 is the timing of relative episode that airs twice after the fresh episode went onair.
|On-air Timings Schedule|
- ^5 For Radio Prime time Timing is different as of TV, fresh episode onairs on Sunday and Monday.
Reception and reviewEdit
Before the episode hitting to the screens, the promos went enormously hits, as they depict the previous looks of sets, previous artists line up and studios previous music genres. Only the House Band personalities were missed by audience, from previous seasons Drummer Gumby was heavily demanded and appreciated for his work. Despite the abrupt ending of season six, people still admire Rohail and willing to see him back.
Bilal Masood the producer of series said:
"Taking the reigns of Pakistan's biggest music platform is a feeling that can't be expressed in words. This has been a magical ride for us, 23 artists, 22 musicians and 28 songs. As producers we couldn't have asked for more. It's all about celebrating Pakistani music and our artists".
Moreover, artists from the studio also shared their journey with strings and their ideas of working with other producers. Keyboard player Jaffer Zaidi said
"I think Rohail Bhai and Strings have different strengths and weaknesses as producers, therefore the experience is entirely different. The most prominent difference this year has been the creative freedom, involvement, and dialogue being offered to all the musicians that were part of the project. God willing, season 7 has much to offer."
The Bass player, Khalid Khan of Coke Studio said:
"The best thing about this season is the fact that no one is over playing a certain instrument and everything is being used to enhance the ensemble. We have paid special attention to the groove and rest I leave it up to the listeners to decide."
- "Coke Studio Season 7 Starting 21st September 2014". DND. Asad Haroon. Archived from the original on 27 August 2014. Retrieved 27 August 2014.
- "Coke Studio 7 to kick-off from September 21". The Express Tribune. Retrieved 13 September 2014.
- "Delayed: 'Inquilab' takes fizz out of Coke Studio Season 7". Dawn News. Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- "Coke Studio season 7 Announces as Sound of the Nation". Business Recorder. Asfia Afzal. Retrieved 29 August 2014.
- "Coke Studio season 7 coming soon". Business Recorder. Asfia Afzal. Retrieved 27 August 2014.
- "Rohail Hyatt Quits from Coke Studio". brand synario. Sami Iqbal. Retrieved 27 August 2014.
- "Coke Studio Season 7, with Strings attached". DAWN.com. Retrieved 27 August 2014.
- "Coke Studio Season 7 finalizes artists, musicians for 28 songs". The News Tribe. 30 August 2014. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- "Raising the curtain on Coke Studio 7". The Express Tribune. Rafay Mahmood. Retrieved 27 August 2014.
- "Coke Studio Season 7 : Sound of the Nation Starting This September". Movieshoovy1. 28 August 2014. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "Coke Studio Season 7 Official Artist Lineup". Pak Media Revolution. Sohaib Shah. 28 August 2014. Retrieved 29 August 2014.
- "Coke Studio Season 7 Hidden Facts Revealed". DND. Asad Haroon. Archived from the original on 12 August 2014. Retrieved 27 August 2014.
- "Coke Studio Musicians, Personals and Guest Musicians". Areeb Kamal. Pakistan Media Updates. 6 August 2014. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "Reason behind the departure of Rohail Hayyat's quitting CS". International Law Office. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- "Pakistani band Strings to produce Coke Studio Pakistan Season 7". Piyali Dasgupta. Times of India. 28 August 2014. Retrieved 29 August 2014.
- "Awaiting Coke Studio:". Correspondanth. TDawn. 28 August 2014. Retrieved 29 August 2014.
- "Music on 'Red' Alert". Maheen Sabeeh. The News on The Sunday. 17 August 2014. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "Coke Studio season seven line-up unveiled". Usmaan Tariq Awan. 28 August 2014. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "Wait's over: Coke Studio unveils Ep 1 of Season 7". Entertainment Desk. Dawn. 21 September 2014.
- "Coke Studio releases episode 2 of season 7". Entertainment Desk. Dawn. 27 September 2014.
- "Coke Studio releases episode 3 of season 7". Entertainment Desk. Dawn. 4 October 2014.
- "Coke Studio Season 7 releases episode 4". Entertainment Desk. Dawn. 11 October 2014.
- "Coke Studio Season 7 takes a break after releasing episode 5". Entertainment Desk. Dawn. 18 October 2014.
- "Coke Studio goes digital with episode 6 of season 7". Entertainment Desk. Dawn. 15 November 2014.
- "Coke Studio Episode 7 review: Moonlight music". Madeeha Syed. Dawn. 23 November 2014.
- "Coke Studio's lucky number seven". Tribune Pakistan. 28 August 2014. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Coke Studio.|
- Official website
- Coke Studio on Facebook
- on YouTube
- Coke Studio on Twitter
- Coke Studio on IMDb
- Coke Studio on Google Play
- Coke Studio on Soundcloud
- Coke Studio on Vimeo
Season 6 (2013)
| Coke Studio Pakistan
Season 7 (2014)
Season 8 (2015)