The historic Coalmont Bank Building serves as the Coalmont City Hall and Public Library.
Location of Coalmont in Grundy County, Tennessee.
|• Total||6.19 sq mi (16.04 km2)|
|• Land||6.06 sq mi (15.69 km2)|
|• Water||0.14 sq mi (0.35 km2)|
|Elevation||1,886 ft (575 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||137.69/sq mi (53.16/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1306006|
Coalmont was established as a coal mining company town around 1904, operated by the Sewanee Coal, Coke and Land Company. Residences, businesses and commercial buildings in Coalmont were built and owned by the company, but individual miners could also build their own homes. A battery of coke ovens dating from the first decade of the 20th century is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Coalmont Bank Building also is listed.
Coalmont is located at (35.344309, -85.717252).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 6.1 square miles (16 km2), of which, 5.9 square miles (15 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (2.14%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 948 people, 369 households, and 281 families residing in the city. The population density was 159.4 people per square mile (61.5/km2). There were 404 housing units at an average density of 67.9 per square mile (26.2/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 99.26% White, 0.11% African American, 0.11% Native American, and 0.53% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.21% of the population.
There were 369 households, out of which 36.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.3% were married couples living together, 15.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.6% were non-families. 19.8% of all households were made up of individuals, and 8.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.57 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the city, the population was spread out, with 25.1% under the age of 18, 10.7% from 18 to 24, 29.4% from 25 to 44, 24.3% from 45 to 64, and 10.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females, there were 90.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.4 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $21,750, and the median income for a family was $24,583. Males had a median income of $30,966 versus $17,656 for females. The per capita income for the city was $11,842. About 27.3% of families and 27.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 28.7% of those under age 18 and 19.0% of those age 65 or over.
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 30, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Tennessee Department of Economic and Community Development, Certified Population of Tennessee Incorporated Municipalities and Counties Archived 2014-06-30 at the Wayback Machine, State of Tennessee official website, 14 July 2011. Retrieved: 6 December 2013.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". United States Census Bureau. May 24, 2020. Retrieved May 27, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form: Historic Resources of Grundy County, 1987
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Census of Population and Housing: Decennial Censuses". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-03-04. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Resident Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Population Estimates. U.S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 11 June 2013. Retrieved 11 December 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)