Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (also called Cloudy: The Series) is an American-Canadian animated television series produced by DHX Media and Sony Pictures Animation in association with Corus Entertainment for Cartoon Network and YTV. Based on the children's book and the film series of the same name, Cloudy is the first television series to be produced by Sony Pictures Animation and was animated using Toon Boom Harmony.
|Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs|
|Also known as||Cloudy: The Series|
|Based on||Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs|
by Sony Pictures Animation
the book of same name
by Judi Barrett
|Developed by||Mark Evestaff|
|Directed by||Jos Humphrey|
|Voices of||Mark Edwards|
|Country of origin||Canada|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||104 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producers||Steven DeNure|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Production companies||Sony Pictures Animation |
DHX Studios Vancouver
|Distributor||Sony Pictures Television (United States) |
DHX Media (International)
Cartoon Network and Boomerang SVOD (Season 1)
CBS All Access (Season 2)
|Picture format||1080i (1.77:1 HDTV)|
|Audio format||Dolby Digital|
|Original release||February 20, 2017 –|
June 30, 2018
The series officially premiered in the United States on March 6, 2017 on Cartoon Network, with a sneak peek airing on February 20, 2017. After an unsuccessful run, the show moved to Boomerang's SVOD service, where it debuted on January 11, 2018. In Canada, the series was originally planned to air on Teletoon, but instead premiered on YTV on April 6, 2017. On February 2, 2018, DHX Media announced the series has been picked up for a second season.
The series is a prequel, featuring the high school years of Flint Lockwood, the eccentric young scientist in the films. In his adventures, he is joined by Sam Sparks, a new girl in town and the school's "wannabe" reporter, along with Flint's dad Tim, Steve the Monkey, Manny as the head of the school's audiovisual club (among other professions), Earl as a school gym teacher, Brent still riding on his fame as from the sardine commercial, and Mayor Shelbourne, who serves as school principal, and who wins every Mayoral election on the pro-sardine platform.
The show clarifies that when Flint and Sam met in their adulthood in the first film, it was not their first meeting. They first met and became friends in high school. In the first episode, Flint says that if Sam ever has to move away from Swallow Falls, he will invent a memory eraser, as she had moved around frequently and did not want the memory of another lost friendship to sadden her.
|First aired||Last aired||Network|
|1||52||49||February 20, 2017||December 3, 2017||Cartoon Network (U.S.)|
|3||January 11, 2018||Boomerang SVOD (U.S.)|
|2||52||April 7, 2018||June 30, 2018||YTV (Canada)|
- Mark Edwards as:
- Katie Griffin as Sam Sparks; a weather intern from New York City and a reporter. Anna Faris was considered to reprise her role in the series.
- David Berni as "Baby" Brent McHale; an infamous celebrity mascot of Baby Brent's Sardines. Andy Samberg was considered to reprise his role in the series.
- Seán Cullen as:
- Patrick McKenna as:
- Gil; Mayor Shelbourne's neglected son
- Manny; Sam's Guatemalan cameraman and a former doctor, pilot, and comedian. Benjamin Bratt was considered to reprise his role in the series.
- Clé Bennett as Earl Devereaux; the town's athletic cop and Cal's dad. Terry Crews was considered to reprise his role in the series.
Sony Pictures Animation and Canadian family entertainment company DHX Media signed to co-produce the series in 2014, starting with twenty-six 22-minute episodes (fifty-two 11-minute segments). DHX Media handles the global television and non-U.S. home entertainment distribution, along with worldwide merchandising rights, while Sony distributes home entertainment in the United States. Turner Broadcasting System handles international distribution via Cartoon Network.
Boomerang (Latin America) premiered Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs on May 12, 2017 with a broadcast of the first 4 episodes, for next Friday continue with recurring releases (double episode), meanwhile Cartoon Network (Latin America) premiered the series on May 18, 2017 premiering a new episode every Thursday. Cartoon Network Australia will premiere Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs on September 2, 2017. In the United Kingdom and Ireland, the series was first broadcast on Cartoon Network on August 28, 2017 starting with the episode "Who You Callin’ Garbage!" (S1EP5). In France, the series started broadcast on Boing from September 2017; in the same period it started on Cartoon Network in Italy. In India, the series will premiere on Cartoon Network. The series began broadcasting on Disney Channel in Germany on 6 November 2017. New episodes began premiering on Boomerang's SVOD service in the United States in January 2018. Older episodes of the series are also available on Boomerang. On February 2, 2018, DHX Media announced the series has been picked up for a second season. On November 30, 2018, the show was made available for streaming on Netflix in the United States.
Common Sense Media rated the show a three out of five stars stating "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs doesn't attempt to lead directly into the movies and in fact presents a major inconsistency for the later stories by introducing Sam to Flint during their teen years. Of course this is only a concern for those who have seen the chronologically later stories first; new viewers without a history with these characters won't have a problem and likely will want to follow up with the movies at some point. A big plus to the show? Even though the science often isn't realistic, the hero and heroine make nerdiness seem pretty cool."
|2018||Saturn Awards||Best Animated Series or Film on Television||Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs||Nominated|||
|2019||Canadian Screen Awards||Best Animated Program or Series||Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs||Nominated|||
- YTV (TV channel) (2017). "Monday with a Chance of Meatballs".
we'll follow with a Cloudy: The Series marathon
- Wolfe, Jennifer (February 16, 2017). "First Look: 'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs' Series Set for March 6 Premiere". Animation World Network. Archived from the original on February 17, 2017. Retrieved February 17, 2017.
- https://www.skwigly.co.uk/dhx-media-serving-second-season-cloudy-chance-meatballs-series/, Skwigly
- Amidi, Amid (December 8, 2016). "First Look at Cartoon Network's 2D 'Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs' Series (Clip)". Cartoon Brew. Retrieved December 8, 2016.
- Sony Pictures Animation (June 20, 2016). "Sony Pictures Animation Announces 2017 & 2018 Slate" (Press release). PR Newswire. Retrieved September 25, 2016.
- "DHX Serves Up Second Helping of 'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs'". Animationmagazine.net. 2 February 2018. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- Perlman, Jake (9 October 2014). "'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs' coming to TV". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 30 November 2016.
- "DHX Media and Sony Pictures Animation Taking Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs to Television" (Press release). DHX Media. October 9, 2014. Retrieved October 10, 2014.
- "Who You Calling Garbage? - Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs Videos". Cartoon Network. Retrieved February 8, 2017.
- Friedlander, Whitney (9 October 2014). "Sony, DHX Creating 'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs' TV Series". Variety. Retrieved 30 November 2016.
- Vlessing, Etan (5 October 2015). "MIPCOM: Sony's 'Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs' TV Show Sells to Turner Broadcasting". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 30 November 2016.
- "Cartoon Network Australia And Boomerang Australia September 2017 Highlights". RegularCapital: Cartoon Network International News. RegularCapital/Turner Broadcasting System Asia-Pacific/Catapult Communications. Retrieved 5 July 2017.
- "Cartoon Network UK New Show Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs The Series Monday 28th August". RegularCapital: Cartoon Network International News. Retrieved 15 August 2017.
- "'Cloudy,' 'Pup Named Scooby-Doo' Join Boomerang Lineup This Month". Animationmagazine.net. 4 January 2018. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "CBS All Access Adding Children's Programming; 'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs', 'Danger Mouse', 'Inspector Gadget' Among Content". 8 August 2019.
- "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs: The Series - Two Single-Disc DVDS for the Cartoon Network Show".
- "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs - TV Review". Commonsensemedia.org. 9 March 2017. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- McNary, Dave (March 15, 2018). "'Black Panther,' 'Walking Dead' Rule Saturn Awards Nominations". Variety. Archived from the original on March 16, 2018. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- "The Winners: Canadian Screen Awards Presented for Creative Fiction Storytelling". 27 March 2019.
- Official website at Sony Pictures Animation
- Official website at Corus Entertainment
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs at IMDb
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (TV series)|