Clive Walford (born October 21, 1991) is an American football tight end who is currently a free agent. He played college football for the University of Miami and was drafted by the Oakland Raiders in the third round of the 2015 NFL Draft.
Walford with the Raiders in 2015
|Born:||October 21, 1991|
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||258 lb (117 kg)|
|High school:||Glades Central|
(Belle Glade, Florida)
|NFL Draft:||2015 / Round: 3 / Pick: 68|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
Walford attended Glades Central High School in Belle Glade, Florida, where he was a 3-sport star in football, basketball, and track. One of his teammates on the Glades Central football team was Buffalo Bills' wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin. He was rated by Rivals.com as a three-star recruit. In July 2009, he committed to the University of Miami to play college football for the Hurricanes football team. Walford also competed in track & field, posting personal-bests of 1.88 meters (6-2) in the high jump and 6.08 meters (19-11) in the long jump.
After he was redshirted as a true freshman in 2010, Walford played in all 12 games with eight starts as a redshirt freshman in 2011. He finished his freshman season with 18 receptions for 172 yards and a touchdown. As a sophomore in 2012, Walford had 25 receptions for 451 yards and four touchdowns over 12 games, of which he started five. As a junior in 2013, he started 12 of 13 games, recording 34 receptions for 454 yards and two touchdowns. Walford returned as a starter his senior season.
On January 2, 2015, it was announced that Walford had accepted his invitation to play in the 2016 Senior Bowl. Throughout the week leading up to the Senior Bowl, Walford had impressive practices and displayed his pass catching and blocking for NFL scouts. He routinely beat linebackers and safeties and coverage and was commended by NFL analysts Daniel Jeremiah, Chase Goodbread, and Mike Mayock. Mayock claimed Walford was, "the most explosive tight end in this year's draft." and, "All he did (this week) was enhance his value." Mayock also stated Walford was pressing Maxx Williams to be the first tight end selected in the upcoming draft. On January 24, 2017, Walford caught one pass for a ten-yard gain as the South lost to the North 13–34. He was one of 19 tight ends to be invited to the NFL combine and he completed all of the required combine and positional drills. His performance at the combine was described by analysts as "mediocre" and his 40-yard dash time was called "pedestrian". On April 1, 2015, Walford opted to participate at Miami Hurricanes' pro day, along with Phillip Dorsett, Duke Johnson, Ereck Flowers, Anthony Chickillo, Denzel Perryman, Jon Feliciano, Shane McDermott, Thurston Armbrister, Olsen Pierre, Ladarius Gunter, Jake Heaps, and three other teammates. Due to a hamstring injury, Walford chose to only perform positional drills for the team representatives and scouts from all 32 NFL teams, that included head coaches Todd Bowles (Jets), Sean Payton (Saints), and Mike Tomlin (Steelers). During the pre-draft process, he had private visit and workouts with the Miami Dolphins, Buffalo Bills, Kansas City Chiefs, Pittsburgh Steelers, Atlanta Falcons, and Green Bay Packers. He had private visits or workouts with a few teams, including the Kansas City Chiefs. At the conclusion of the pre-draft process, Walford was projected to be a second or third round pick. He was ranked the second best tight end prospect in the draft by NFL analysts Charles Davis, Mike Mayock, Lance Zierlein, NFLDraftScout.com, and Sports Illustrated.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 4 in
|10 1⁄4 in
|4.79 s||1.72 s||2.84 s||4.57 s||7.32 s||35 in
|10 ft 0 in
|All values from NFL Combine|
The Oakland Raiders selected Walford in the third round (68th overall) of the 2015 NFL Draft. He was the second tight end selected in the draft behind Maxx Williams (second round, 55th overall). The Raiders also selected his Miami Hurricanes' teammate Jon Feliciano in the fourth round (128th overall).
On June 16, 2015, the Raiders signed Walford to a four-year, $3.34 million contract that includes a signing bonus of $795,504.
Throughout his first training camp with the Oakland Raiders, Walford competed with Mychal Rivera, Lee Smith, Brian Leonhardt, and Gabe Holmes for the job as the starting tight end. He had an impressive performance during the Raiders' organized team activities and mini camp, but missed the beginning of training camp with a hamstring injury. Walford missed the Raiders' last three preseason games after he suffered a knee injury. Head coach Jack Del Rio named Walford the third tight end on the Raiders' depth chart to begin the 2015 season, behind Lee Smith and Mychal Rivera.
Walford made his professional regular season debut in the Oakland Raiders' season-opener against the Cincinnati Bengals and made his first career reception on a one-yard pass from Derek Carr during the 33-13 loss. During a Week 5 contest game the Denver Broncos, Walford caught a 33-yard pass in the 16-10 loss. The 33-yard reception was the longest of his rookie season. On October 25, 2015, Walford earned his first career start and made two receptions for 42-yards as the Raiders defeated the San Diego Chargers 37-29. He also scored his first career touchdown while being covered by Chargers' cornerback Jimmy Wilson, catching a 23-yard pass from Derek Carr in the second quarter. On December 6, 2015, he caught a season-high five passes for a season-high 53 receiving yards during a 34-20 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs. Walford finished his rookie season with a total of 28 receptions for 329 yards and three touchdowns in 16 games and two starts. Walford played 702 offensive snaps and was targeted 52 times, catching 63% of them in 2016.
Entering training camp, Walford was expected to be the starting tight end. Although he surpassed Mychal Rivera on the depth chart, he was named the backup to Lee Smith. Smith remained the starting tight end due to his superior blocking ability.
On September 18, 2016, Walford caught a season-high six passes for 58 yards and scored a 31-yard touchdown reception during a 35-28 loss to the Atlanta Falcons. During a Week 4 matchup at the Baltimore Ravens, he made his first start of the season and made two receptions for 23 yards in a 28-27 victory. Unfortunately, Walford left the game after suffering a knee injury and missed the Raiders' Week 5 matchup against the San Diego Chargers. During the game, Lee Smith suffered a fracture to his lower leg and was placed on injured reserve for the rest of the season on October 5, 2016, which expanded Walford's role. On November 27, 2016, Walford caught three passes for 43 yards and a touchdown as the Raiders defeated the Carolina Panthers 35-32. His touchdown reception was on a 12-yard pass from Derek Carr to tie the game in the fourth quarter. Walford completed the 2016 season with 33 receptions for 359 receiving yards and 3 touchdowns in eight starts and 15 games.
During the offseason, the Raiders and offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave mutually parted ways and he was replaced by Todd Downing. Walford competed with Jared Cook, Lee Smith, Gabe Holmes, Ryan O'Malley, Cooper Helfet, and Pharaoh Brown throughout training camp for a job as the starting tight end. Head coach Jack Del Rio named Walford the Raiders' third tight end behind Cook and Smith to start the regular season.
Through the first 12 games, Walford was limited to three receptions for 10 yards. On December 3, 2017, he caught four passes for 57 receiving yards during the Raiders' 24-17 win over the New York Giants. He suffered a concussion in Week 14 and was placed on injured reserve on December 23, 2017. Walford completed the 2017 season with nine receptions for 80 yards and no touchdowns.
On March 27, 2018, Walford was released by the Raiders.
New York JetsEdit
New York Jets (second stint)Edit
On December 27, 2018, Walford was signed by the New York Jets.
On May 3, 2016, it was reported that Walford had suffered a knee injury in a ATV accident. He was unable to participate in spring practices and rejoined the team during the start of training camp.
- "Clive Walford Pro-Football-Reference Profile". rbref.com.
- Joel Thurman (April 1, 2015). "Chiefs meeting with Clive Walford, one of the 2015 NFL Draft's top tight ends". arrowheadpride.com. Retrieved December 5, 2017.
- "Rivals.com". rivals.yahoo.com.
- Hays, Chris. "Belle Glade TE/DE Clive Walford commits to Miami Hurricanes for football, though he stars in basketball".
- "Clive Walford - Stats". flrunners.com.
- "Glades Central grad Clive Walford a bright spot at TE for 'Canes".
- "University of Miami tight end Clive Walford knows future depends on 'giving my all'".
- "Clive Walford, having a breakout season, named Mackey Award TE of the week - Canes Watch".
- "Tight end transformation: Miami's Clive Walford becomes one of nation's best - Canes Watch".
- Christy Cabrera Chirinos (January 5, 2015). "Al-Quadin Muhammad back with Hurricanes, Walford gets Senior Bowl invite". sun-sentinel.com. Retrieved December 3, 2017.
- Bryan Fischer (January 21, 2017). "Miami's Clive Walford among Day 2 standouts at Senior Bowl". NFL.com. Retrieved December 3, 2017.
- Gary Laney (January 21, 2015). "Senior Bowl standouts: TE Clive Walford wows NFL coaches, while a pair of RBs show off pro form". Cleveland.com. Retrieved December 3, 2017.
- Mike Huguenin (January 21, 2015). "Mayock: Clive Walford 'most explosive tight end' in 2015 draft". NFL.com. Retrieved December 3, 2017.
- "2015 Senior Bowl: North vs. South". profootballfocus.com. Retrieved December 4, 2017.
- "Did Clive Walford Hurt His Draft Stock At The Combine?". Procanes.com. February 22, 2015. Retrieved December 3, 2017.
- Matt Porter (April 2, 2015). "Who impressed at Miami Hurricanes pro day, and which NFL personnel attended". caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpost.com. Retrieved December 3, 2017.
- "Clive Walford, DS #2 TE, Miami". nfldraftscout.com. Retrieved December 3, 2017.
- Charles Davis (April 1, 2015). "2015 NFL Draft prospect rankings by position". NFL.com. Retrieved December 3, 2017.
- Mike Mayock (April 28, 2015). "Mike Mayock's 2015 NFL Draft position rankings 5". NFL.com. Retrieved December 3, 2017.
- Chris Burke (April 8, 2015). "2015 NFL draft positional rankings: Tight end". si.com. Retrieved December 3, 2017.
- Lance Zierlein (March 19, 2015). "2015 NFL Draft: Lance Zierlein's top 10 tight ends". NFL.com. Retrieved December 4, 2017.
- "Clive Walford - Miami (FL), TE : 2015 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile". www.nfldraftscout.com.
- "Raiders Take Miami TE Clive Walford in 3rd Round". Raiders.com. May 1, 2015. Retrieved June 25, 2017.
- "Spotrac.com: Clive Walford contract". spotrac.com. Retrieved December 4, 2017.
- Bill Williamson (August 11, 2015). "Clive Walford practices after missing first nine days of camp". ESPN.com. Retrieved December 5, 2017.
- Levi Damien (August 3, 2015). "Mychal Rivera impressing while Clive Walford missing Raiders training camp". silverandblackpride.com. Retrieved December 5, 2017.
- "NFL". Sacramento.cbslocal.com. September 11, 2015. Retrieved December 5, 2017.
- Levi Damien (September 8, 2015). "Raiders release depth chart for 2015 regular season opener". silverandblackpride.com. Retrieved December 5, 2017.
- Shawn Jonas (September 8, 2015). "Raider's Week 1 Depth Chart". onthefieldreport.com. Retrieved December 5, 2017.
- "NFL Game Center: Week 7-2015: Oakland Raiders @ San Diego Chargers". NFL.com. Retrieved December 5, 2017.
- "NFL Player stats: Clive Walford (2015)". NFL.com. Retrieved December 4, 2017.
- "Raiders Re-Sign or Realign: Mychal Rivera proved he can compete with Clive Walford". blackholebanter.com. Retrieved December 5, 2017.
- Orlando Ledbetter (September 9, 2016). "Raiders release 'official' depth chart for the Falcons' game". AtlantaFalcons.blog.ajc.com. Retrieved December 5, 2017.
- Rob Goldberg (October 6, 2016). "Clive Walford Injury: Updates on Raiders TE's Knee and Return". bleacherreport.com. Retrieved December 5, 2017.[permanent dead link]
- "Raiders' Lee Smith: Suffers season-threatening injury Sunday". cbssports.com. Retrieved December 5, 2017.
- "NFL Game Center: Carolina Panthers @ Oakland Raiders". NFL.com. Retrieved December 5, 2017.
- "NFL Player stats: Clive Walford (2016)". NFL.com. Retrieved December 4, 2017.
- "Ourlads.com: Oakland Raiders' depth chart: 07/01/2017". Ourlads.com. Retrieved December 5, 2017.
- "NFL Player stats: Clive Walford (2017)". NFL.com. Retrieved December 5, 2017.
- "Raiders Sign Brown, Place Walford On IR". Raiders.com. December 23, 2017.
- "Raiders to release former third round pick Clive Walford". SilverAndBlackPride.com. March 27, 2018.
- Shook, Nick (April 2, 2018). "Jets claim ex-Raiders TE Clive Walford via waivers". NFL.com.
- Lange, Randy (September 1, 2018). "Final Cutdown: Jets Reach 53-Player Active Roster". NewYorkJets.com.
- "Roster Move: Colts Sign Free Agent TE Clive Walford". Colts.com. November 28, 2018.
- Williams, Charean (December 7, 2018). "Colts promote Daurice Fountain, waive Clive Walford". Pro Football Talk. NBC Sports. Retrieved December 8, 2018.
- "Jets Place TE Tomlinson on IR, Bring Back TE Walford". NewYorkJets.com. December 27, 2018.
- "Dolphins Sign CB Eric Rowe & TE Clive Walford". MiamiDolphins.com. March 14, 2019.
- "Dolphins Release Jordan Mills & Clive Walford". MiamiDolphins.com. August 27, 2019.
- Patra, Kevin (May 3, 2016). "Report: Raiders TE Clive Walford injured knee in ATV crash". NFL.com. Retrieved December 4, 2017.