Clifton Rugby Football Club
Clifton Rugby Football Club is an English rugby union club founded in Clifton, Bristol. Over the years the club's home games have been played in a variety of locations in northern Bristol, though never in Clifton itself; since 1976 they have been based at the southern end of Cribbs Causeway. Clifton RFC play in the fourth tier of the English rugby union league system; National League 2 South.
|Full name||Clifton Rugby Football Club|
|Nickname(s)||Lavender And Blacks|
|Location||Cribbs Causeway, Bristol,BS10 7TB England|
|Ground(s)||Station Road (Capacity: 2,500 (400 seats))|
Mike BarberBruce Reihana
|League(s)||National League 2 South|
Clifton RFC is Bristol's oldest club, and one of the oldest in the world. Clifton Rugby Club was formed on 27 September 1872 at the Kings Arms on Blackboy Hill in Clifton, Bristol. The pub still stands, although it was rebuilt in 1902, and refurbished in the late 1990s. Clifton is the 32nd oldest club in the United Kingdom, the 21st oldest in England, the 2nd oldest in the South West (Bath Rugby older by seven years) and the oldest in Bristol. In 1909 a combined Bristol and Clifton RFC team, captained by Percy Down, lost to Australia 11–3.
- Bass South West Merit Table champions: 1979–80
- South West Division 1 champions: 1988–89
- Area League South runner-up: 1989–90 (promoted)
- Courage League Division 4 champions: 1993–94
- London 1 v South West 1 promotion play-off winner: 2005–06
- South West Division 1 champions: 2008–09
- Bristol Combination Cup winners (5): 2008–09, 2013–14, 2015–16, 2016–17, 2017–18
|Played||Won||Drawn||Lost||Points for||Points against||Points diff||Try bonus||Losing bonus||Points|
|1||Taunton Titans (C)||25||20||0||5||815||521||294||17||4||101|
|2||Tonbridge Juddians (P)||25||21||0||4||810||366||444||13||1||98|
|6||Bury St Edmunds||24||15||0||9||660||489||171||12||6||78|
|14||Sutton & Epsom (R)||24||4||1||19||395||831||−436||5||3||26|
|15||Old Redcliffians (R)||23||3||2||18||329||648||−319||3||4||23|
|Green background is the promotion place. Blue background is the play-off place. Pink background are relegation places.|
Updated: 14 March 2020
Source: "National League 2 South". NCA Rugby.
Notable former playersEdit
- "Bristol's Clifton Rugby Club announces ambitious expansion plans". South West Business. 28 April 2014.
- "Clifton Rugby Club – Information at club website". cliftonrugby.co.uk. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Clifton Rugby Football Club History". cliftonrfchistory.co.uk. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Bristol Packers". Britball Now. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Clifton RFC History 1970-1980". cliftonrfchistory.co.uk. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Clifton RFC History 1980-1990". cliftonrfchistory.co.uk. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Clifton RFC History 1990-2000". cliftonrfchistory.co.uk. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Clifton RFC History 2000-2010". cliftonrfchistory.co.uk. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Clifton beat Dings to lift Combination Cup | Bristol Post". bristolpost.co.uk. Archived from the original on 23 September 2015. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "History - Combination Cup - Winners". bristolcombination.pitchero.com. Retrieved 2 August 2016.