Client (frequently stylised as CLIEИT) are an English electronic music group from London, formed in 2002. They are most popular in Germany where they have had limited commercial success. They typically combine airline hostess uniforms or shiny fetish fashion outfits with glamour-girl aesthetics and harsh electronics to create a sound reminiscent of early forays into electronic sound manipulation and new wave. Their uniforms have become their trademark.
The original band members were formerly known only anonymously as Client A and Client B, to the extent that their faces were not shown on any publicity photos; it has since been revealed that they are Kate Holmes (as Client A) and Sarah Blackwood (Client B). Holmes, formerly of Frazier Chorus and Technique, later started the fashion label Client London, and is married to Alan McGee (founder of Creation Records and discoverer of Oasis). Blackwood is the lead singer of Dubstar.
In late 2005 a new member, Client E, joined the group. This is Emily Mann, who was a contestant on the Channel 5 reality show Make Me a Supermodel, an artist, and an active DJ, usually performing as Emily Strange. Client E left the band in June 2007. In November 2007 Charlotte Hatherley joined the band as Client C, to fill the vacant role of bassist on their European and Scandinavian tours.
Client was the first act signed to Depeche Mode member Andy Fletcher's record label, Toast Hawaii. They have toured with Depeche Mode and Erasure and have been described as a combination of "the Pet Shop Boys at their most commercial and The Human League at their most obscure".
Client have collaborated with several high-profile musicians and directors. Their video for "Pornography" was directed by French director Jamie Deliessche from video production company Schmooze. It features Carl Barât (of The Libertines and Dirty Pretty Things) on vocals. The song "Down to the Underground" features Pete Doherty, also of The Libertines, and frontman of Babyshambles. The song "Overdrive" features Martin L. Gore of Depeche Mode. The song "Where's the Rock and Roll Gone" features Tim Burgess of The Charlatans. Client have collaborated with Die Krupps, Moonbootica and Replica on selected tracks and also have done a special duet, "Suicide Sister" with Douglas McCarthy of Nitzer Ebb.
It was announced in October 2006 that Client had parted ways with the Toast Hawaii label. In November 2006, Client signed with Out of Line in German-speaking Europe, SubSpace Communications in Scandinavia, Metropolis Records in North America, Noiselab in Latin America and their own label Loser Friendly Records in the UK and Ireland.
It was confirmed in December 2010 that Blackwood had left the band and a new member was being recruited to front the band. In July 2011, Holmes announced that Xan Tyler—with whom Holmes formed the synthpop duo Technique in the mid-1990s—would take over live lead vocals for the band, replacing Blackwood. However, this never came to fruition.
On 4 September 2013, Client debuted the music video for their single "You Can Dance", which introduced new member Nicole Thomas, known as Client N. Their fifth studio album, Authority, was released on 21 March 2014 on Out of Line Music.
- Live at Club Koko (2006)
- Live in Porto (2007)
- Live in Hamburg (2009)
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Price of Love"||2003||189||—||Client|
|"Rock and Roll Machine"||124||—|
|"Here and Now"||—||—|
|"In It for the Money"||2004||51||—||City|
|"Lights Go Out"||2006||—||—||Heartland|
|"It's Not Over"||—||—|
|"Can You Feel"||2009||—||—||Command|
|"Make Me Believe in You"||—||—|
|"You Can Dance"||2013||—||—||Authority|
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
- "Client quit Toast Hawaii and complete new album". Side-Line. 3 October 2006. Archived from the original on 16 February 2009. Retrieved 2 October 2006.
- "Sarah Blackwood left Client (official press release)". client-online.eu. 19 December 2010. Archived from the original on 20 July 2011. Retrieved 19 December 2010.
- "Xan Tyler (Technique) joins Client". Side-Line. 12 July 2011. Archived from the original on 23 September 2011. Retrieved 15 July 2011.
- Lai, Chi Ming (7 December 2014). "XAN TYLER Interview". The Electricity Club. Archived from the original on 14 July 2015. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- Tompson, Nick (11 September 2013). "Exclusive launch of Client's new video!". 55Factory. Archived from the original on 12 December 2013. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- "Client introduces new vocalist Nicole on single "You Can Dance"". Release Magazine. 14 November 2013. Retrieved 7 December 2013.
- Lai, Chi Ming (15 September 2013). "CLIENT You Can Dance". The Electricity Club. Archived from the original on 2 October 2013. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- "Authority". Out of Line Music. Retrieved 25 March 2014.
- Peak chart positions for singles in the United Kingdom:
- "Client | Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). musicline.de. PHONONET. Retrieved 16 October 2010.