Cleland and Midcalder Line
|Cleland and Midcalder Line |
Cleland and Midcalder Line is a historic railway line in Scotland. Built by the Caledonian Railway and opened in 1869, it provides a link between Glasgow and Edinburgh through the mining communities of Lanarkshire and West Lothian.
The line was built by the Caledonian Railway to serve a variety of industrial locations, including collieries, iron mines and an oil works near Addiewell. It followed the route of an earlier private industrial line built to serve a number of mines in the area. The line became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway at the 1923 Grouping, then the Scottish Region of British Railways upon nationalisation in January 1948. None of the industries once served by the line still survive - the last of the collieries served by it (at Polkemmet) having closed down in 1986.
Connections to other linesEdit
- Clydesdale Junction Railway at Uddingston Junction
- Caledonian Railway Main Line (Carstairs to Greenhill Junction) at Mossend Junctions and Midcalder Junction
- Wishaw Deviation Line at Holytown South Junction
- Wishaw and Coltness Railway at Newarthill and Cleland Junctions
- Caledonian Railway Main Line (Carstairs to Edinburgh) at Midcalder Junction
The line is open, being electrified between Uddingston Junction and Holytown South Junction.
- Railscot - Cleland & Midcalder LineRailscot; Retrieved 2014-01-24
- Awdry, Christopher (1990). Encyclopaedia of British Railway Companies. Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0049-7. OCLC 19514063. CN 8983.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-086-0. OCLC 22311137.
- Robertson, C. J. A. (1983). The Origins of the Scottish Railway System: 1722-1844 (1st ed.). Edinburgh: John Donald Publishers Ltd. ISBN 0-8597-6088-X.
- RAILSCOT on Cleland and Midcalder Line
- RAILSCOT on Addiewell Loop