Claudio Maniago (born 8 February 1959) is an Italian prelate of the Catholic Church who has been the bishop of Castellaneta since 2014. He was previously an auxiliary bishop of Florence. He has led the liturgy programs of the Italian Episcopal Conference since 2015.
|Bishop of Castellaneta|
|Church||Roman Catholic Church|
|Appointed||12 July 2014|
|Installed||14 September 2014|
|Predecessor||Pietro Maria Fragnelli|
|Ordination||19 April 1984|
by Silvano Piovanelli
|Consecration||8 September 2003|
by Silvano Piovanelli
|Birth name||Claudio Maniago|
|Born||8 February 1959|
|Previous post(s)||Auxiliary Bishop of Florence (2003-14)|
Titular Bishop of Satafi (2003-14)
|Alma mater||Almo Collegio Capranica|
Pontifical Athenaeum of Saint Anselm
|Motto||In manus Tuas|
("In Thy hands")
|Coat of arms|
Claudio Maniago was born in Florence on 8 February 1959, the son of a cook and a housewife from the Friuli region. He studied at the major seminary there and then in Rome at the Almo Collegio Capranica. He earned a licentiate in liturgy at the Pontifical Athenaeum of Saint Anselm. On 19 April 1984, he was ordained a priest of the Archdiocese of Florence by Archbishop Silvano Piovanelli.
From 1987 to 1994 he was rector of the minor seminary, director of the diocesan center for vocations, a member of the diocesan pastoral council, and chaplain of the local Serra Club. In 1988 he became the Master of Ceremonies for the archdiocese and a lecturer in liturgy at the Theological Faculty of Northern Italy. In 1994 he became pro-vicar general of the archdiocese, moderator of its curia and honorary canon of the cathedral church of Florence. In 2001 he was appointed vicar general of the archdiocese.
On 18 July 2003, Pope John Paul II appointed him auxiliary bishop of Florence and titular bishop of Satafi. On 8 September he received his episcopal ordination from Cardinal Silvano Piovanelli, with co-consecrators Archbishop Ennio Antonelli and Bishop Gualtiero Bassetti. He was the youngest bishop in Italy at the time. Among the attendees was his friend Piero Marini, the Master of Pontifical Liturgical Celebrations.
On 21 May 2015, the CEI elected him president of its Commission for the Liturgy. On 3 October he was also appointed, by the Permanent Bishop's Council of the CEI, president of the Liturgical Action Center (Centro Azione Liturgica), which on behalf of the CEI promotes the liturgical movement in the Church and the renewal envisioned by the Second Vatican Council.
On 28 October 2016, Pope Francis named him a member of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments.
In March 2021, Pope Francis charged Maniago with undertaking a review of the Congregation of Divine Worship in anticipation of the appointment of a new prefect following the retirement of Cardinal Robert Sarah in February.
- "Rinunce e Nomine 2003.07.18" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 18 July 2003. Retrieved 17 March 2021.
- Scafardi, Fabio (9 September 2003). "Firenze si stringe attorno al Vescovo Maniago". Il Giornale della Toscana (in Italian). Archived from the original on 17 March 2021. Retrieved 18 March 2021 – via Parrocchia Santa Maria delle Grazie Calenzano (FI).
- "Vescovo". Diocese of Castellaneta (in Italian). Archived from the original on 26 October 2020. Retrieved 18 March 2021.
- "E' il vescovo più giovane d' Italia Ha 44 anni, sarà ausiliare di Firenze". Corriere della Sera (in Italian). 19 July 2003. Archived from the original on 19 December 2012.
- "Firenze, il vescovo Maniago lascia la diocesi: guiderà quella di Castellaneta". Firenze Post (in Italian). 12 July 2014. Retrieved 18 March 2021.
- Le Petit Episcopologe, Issue 172, Number 14,455.
- "Nuovo Presidente del CAL" (in Italian). Ufficio Liturgicho Nazionale della Conferenza Episcopale Italiana. 5 October 2015. Retrieved 18 March 2021.
- "Centro Azione Liturgica" (in Italian). Retrieved 18 March 2021.
- "Other Pontifical Acts, 28.10.2016" (Press release). Holy See Press Office. 28 October 2016. Retrieved 17 March 2021.
- Wooden, Cindy (15 March 2021). "Before naming Cardinal Sarah's replacement, Pope Francis wants an outside review of the congregation for worship". America. Catholic News Service. Retrieved 18 March 2021.
- Cernuzio, Salvatore (17 March 2021). "Vaticano, visita interna al Dicastero del Culto Divino prima della scelta del nuovo prefetto". La Stampa (in Italian). Retrieved 18 March 2021.