Claude Thomas Bissell, Canadian author and educator.(February 10, 1916 – June 21, 2000) was a
|8th President of the University of Toronto|
|Preceded by||Sidney Earle Smith|
|Succeeded by||John Robert Evans|
|Born||February 10, 1916|
|Died||June 21, 2000(aged 84)|
|Alma mater||University of Toronto|
He was the eighth president of the University of Toronto from 1958 to 1971. He played a major part in the expansion of the University of Toronto, tripling the size of the university during his tenure.
He was born in Meaford, Ontario, the youngest of nine children. He graduated from the University of Toronto with a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1936 and received his Master of Arts degree in English literature in 1937. He earned his PhD in English Literature from Cornell University where he won the Luana L. Messenger Prize for Graduate Research in 1940. He served in the Canadian Army during World War II.
In 1952 he was made assistant professor at the University of Toronto. From 1956 to 1958 he was president of Carleton College (now Carleton University) returning to the University of Toronto in 1958 to become president.
He was the chair of the Canada Council from 1960 to 1962.
He married Christine and they had one daughter, Deirdre MacDonald.
Because of his education, he was an officer in World War II, attaining the rank of Captain in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada and worked in the intelligence section.
- "The Social Sciences are good at accounting for disasters once they have taken place."
- Referring to the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada, his regiment in World War II, "a happy regiment and a formidable one in action."
- "Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible."
- "The McLuhan-Bissell Collection".
- "University of Toronto Archives and Records Management Services". Archived from the original on 2014-06-06. Retrieved 2014-06-03.
- "The Canadian Encyclopedia".
- "UofT Magazine".
- "Claude T. Bissell Building - BL". University of Toronto. Retrieved 2012-08-07.
- "Christine Bissell". GlobeLife Deaths. The Globe and Mail. 2017-03-04. Retrieved 29 April 2017.
- Rynor, Michah (2000-06-26). "Campus mourns Bissell's passing". News:UofT. University of Toronto. Archived from the original on 2007-10-04. Retrieved 2007-10-07.
- Fulford, Robert (2000-09-05). "Claude Bissell". The National Post. Retrieved 2007-10-07.
- Office of the Governor General of Canada. Order of Canada citation. Queen's Printer for Canada. Retrieved 24 May 2010