Clapham Common tube station
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Clapham Common is a London Underground station in Clapham within the London Borough of Lambeth. It is on the Northern line, between Clapham North and Clapham South stations, and is in Travelcard Zone 2.
|Managed by||London Underground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|London Underground annual entry and exit|
|3 June 1900||Opened as terminus (C&SLR)|
|29 November 1923||closed for rebuilding|
|1 December 1924||reopened|
|1926||Became through station|
|Added to list||27 March 1981|
|Lists of stations|
|London transport portal|
This section relies largely or entirely on a single source. (March 2015)
The station is at the eastern tip of Clapham Common and was opened in June 1900 as the new southern terminus of the City & South London Railway, which was extended from Stockwell. It remained the terminus until the Morden extension was opened in 1926.
The station todayEdit
This section does not cite any sources. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The station has two entrances, one at the west via a domed building dating from the 1920s, and one at the east via a modern curved-steel and glass pavilion.
Clapham Common is one of eight London Underground stations that have a deep-level air-raid shelter underneath them. Both entrances to the shelter are north of the station on Clapham High Street.
Services and connectionsEdit
For 2 weeks in September 2016, all of the adverts used in the station were replaced by photos of cats. This was an initiative paid for on crowdfunding site Kickstarter and organized by an organisation called The Citizens Advertising Takeover Service (C.A.T.S).
- "Multi-year station entry-and-exit figures" (XLSX). London Underground station passenger usage data. Transport for London. January 2018. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- Historic England. "Entrance Building to Clapham Common Tube Station (1065005)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- Transport for London (January 2019). Standard Tube Map (PDF) (Map). Not to scale. Transport for London. Archived (PDF) from the original on 11 March 2019.
- "Northern line timetable: From Clapham Common Underground Station to Clapham North Underground Station". Transport for London. Retrieved 6 March 2015.
- "Northern line timetable: From Clapham Common Underground Station to Clapham South Underground Station". Transport for London. Retrieved 6 March 2015.
- "Buses from Clapham Common" (PDF). Transport for London. July 2014. Retrieved 6 March 2015.
- Clapham Common Underground Station - Bus
- "Crowdfunding Replaced The Ads At A London Underground Station With Cat Photos". Jalopnik. Retrieved 20 September 2016.
- "The Citizens Advertising Takeover Service (C.A.T.S)". Kickstarter. Retrieved 20 September 2016.
- Scott, Ellen. "PETA has replaced every advert in Clapham Common tube station with pro-vegan posters". Metro.co.uk. Retrieved 8 February 2017.