Claire Van Vliet
Education and careerEdit
Van Vliet received the Bachelor of Arts in 1952 from San Diego State College, and the Master of Fine Arts from Claremont Graduate School in 1954. In 1955 she moved to Europe, shortly after her first publications, then returned to the United States in 1957. She worked for John Anderson of Lanston Monotype Company in Philadelphia before moving to Madison, Wisconsin. She made several trips back to Europe and continued her education in hand typesetting and compositing. She taught drawing and printmaking classes at the Philadelphia Museum School of Art and Philadelphia Museum College of Art from 1965–1966. In 1967 she established a typographic workshop in Madison, Wisconsin. The Janus Press has been based in Newark, Vermont since Van Vliet settled there in 1966.
The Janus Press was named by Van Vliet for the Roman god Janus. The press publishes collaborative works by contemporary writers, papermakers, printmakers and artists, including Raymond Carver, Tess Gallagher, Seamus Heaney, Ted Hughes, W. R. Johnson, Galway Kinnell, John le Carré, Denise Levertov, Sandra McPherson, W. D. Snodgrass, Ruth Fine, Lois K. Johnson, Susan Johanknecht, Jerome Kaplan, Ray Metzker, Peter Schumann, Helen Siegl, Kathryn Clark (Twinrocker), Amanda Degener, Mary Lyn Nutting, Katie MacGregor, and Bernie Vinzani.
- 1989 – John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation Prize Fellowship
- 1993 – Honorary Doctor of Fine Arts, University of Arts in Philadelphia
- 1995 – Elected to the National Academy of Design in New York
- 2002 – Honorary Doctor of Fine Arts, San Diego State University
- 2017 – Frederic W. Goudy Award, Cary Graphic Arts Collection at the Rochester Institute of Technology
- Fine, Ruth. (2006) The Janus Press, Fifty Years : Catalogue Raisonné for 1991–2005 : indexes for 1955–2005 / Burlington, Vermont: University of Vermont Libraries.
- Fine, Ruth. (1975) The Janus Press, 1955–75 : catalogue raisonné / [Burlington, Vt.] : Robert Hull Fleming Museum, University
- Janus Press. (2003?) Janus Press checklist 1992– / Newark, Vt. : Janus Press.
- "Typographer and founder of Janus Press Claire Van Vliet to be presented with Goudy Award Nov. 2". www.rit.edu. Retrieved 2017-11-03.
- Claire Van Vliet. (1978?) Printmaker and Printer : a selection of prints and illustrated books from the Press at the Rutgers University Art Gallery in New Brunswick, New Jersey, from November 5 to December 17, 1978. [New Brunswick, N.J.] : Rutgers University Art Gallery,
- The Janus Press . (1982) 1955–1980 : Silver Anniversary Miscellany: [finally all gathered together in 1982]. [West Burke, Vt.] : Janus Press
- Van Vliet, Claire. (2002). Woven and interlocking book structures : from the Janus, Steiner, and Gefn presses / Newark, Vt. : Janus Gefn Unlimited.
- Bright, Betty. (2005). "The Fine Press Book: The Janus Press: a new demeanor for fine printing." No longer innocent : book art in America : 1960–1980 / New York City : Granary Books : Distributed to the trade by Distributed Art Publishers.