City of Victoria Pipe Band
The City of Victoria Pipe Band was a grade 1 pipe band based in Victoria, British Columbia.
|City of Victoria Pipe Band|
|Pipe major||James Troy|
|Drum sergeant||John Fisher, David Watling, Colin Magee|
James Troy was pipe major of a youth band under Ian Duncan of Victoria, until he turned sixteen and aged out. In 1961, he joined the Royal Canadian Air Force pipe band, and in 1972 founded the City of Victoria Pipe Band with Steve Geddes as pipe sergeant. The band was based on the model of Muirhead & Sons and Shotts and Dykehead Caledonia.
The Greater Victoria Police Pipe Band, founded in 1998 by Troy and Dave McMillan, absorbed the diminished City of Victoria band.
- Play the Sweet Music (1976)
- "James W. Troy". jwtreeds.com. Retrieved 16 February 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Mike Paterson. "Taking silver with a well-trusted reed" (PDF). Piping Today. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-02-16. Retrieved 2015-02-16.
- "Steve Geddes, 1950-2014". pipesdrums.com. 12 March 2014. Retrieved 16 February 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Play the Sweet Music". musicmoz.org. Retrieved 16 February 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)