City of Darwin
The City of Darwin is a local government area of the Northern Territory, Australia. It includes the central business district of the capital, Darwin City, and represents two-thirds of its metropolitan population. The City covers an area of 112 square kilometres (43 sq mi) and, at the 2016 census, had a population of 78,804 people.
|City of Darwin|
|Population||78,804 (2016 census)|
|• Density||703.6/km2 (1,822/sq mi)|
|Area||112 km2 (43.2 sq mi)|
|Council seat||Darwin City|
|Territory electorate(s)||Casuarina, Fannie Bay, Fong Lim, Johnston, Karama, Nightcliff, Port Darwin, Sanderson, Spillett, Wanguri|
|Website||City of Darwin|
The first Town and District Council was formed in 1874. The Darwin Town Council was created in 1915. From 1921 the five member Council had been elected on a ratepayer's franchise. In 1930 the Mayor and Councillors resigned in protest against the re-introduction of adult suffrage. A caretaker Council was appointed until 1937, when it was abolished at the Council's own request.
In 1955 a statement added to the Local Government Ordinance provided for the Constitution of the Municipality of Darwin. In 1957 the Council was increased to twelve members and a Mayor.
An annual election providing for the Mayor and half of the Council members to be retired at each election, was also introduced at this time. In 1959 an Ordinance provided that the Municipality of Darwin be constituted a city and named 'City of Darwin'.
Wards and councillorsEdit
City of Darwin is divided into four wards, governed by 12 alderman across those wards, as well as one directly elected Lord Mayor. Aldermen from each ward are elected using a Single Transferable Vote (STV) proportional system.
Most of the suburb of Charles Darwin which is largely occupied by the Charles Darwin National Park reaches outside of the boundaries of the City of Darwin into unincorporated territory, as do large parts of Berrimah and Hidden Valley. The last two suburbs, Buffalo Creek and Holmes, were approved in 2007. They are still largely undeveloped, especially Buffalo Creek.
|Selected historical census data for City of Darwin local government area|
|Population||Estimated residents on census night||69,455||66,291||72,930||78,804|
|LGA rank in terms of size within Northern Territory||1st||1st||1st|
|% of Northern Territory population||34.26%||34.36%||34.41%||34.44%|
|% of Australian population||0.37%||0.33%||0.34%||0.34%|
|Cultural and language diversity|
(other than English)
|Median weekly incomes|
|Personal income||Median weekly personal income||A$687||A$899||A$1039|
|% of Australian median income||147.4%||155.8%||157.0%|
|Family income||Median weekly family income||A$1524||A$2063||A$2385|
|% of Australian median income||130.2%||139.2%||137.5%|
|Household income||Median weekly household income||A$1286||A$1809||A$2164|
|% of Australian median income||125.2%||146.6%||150.5%|
|Dwelling type||Separate house||55.3%||54.9%||54.7%||52.6%|
|Semi-detached, terrace or townhouse||13.2%||11.9%||15.8%||13.3%|
|Flat or apartment||23.8%||27.2%||26.7%||31.8%|
|Kalymnos||South Aegean region||Greece||April 1982|
|Anchorage||Alaska||United States||July 1982|
|Milikapiti||Northern Territory||Australia||July 1999|
|Dili||Dili District||East Timor||September 2003|
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Darwin (C) (Local Government Area)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Litchfield Municipality Localities (map)" (PDF). Northern Territory Government. 29 October 1997. Retrieved 16 May 2019.
A document re the Litchfield Muncipality has been cited because it is a map which depicts the relationship of the City of Darwin to its surroundings.
- http://www.bushtel.nt.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/46654/DarwinCityViewMunicipal.pdf Map with suburb boundaries
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (9 March 2006). "City of Darwin (C)". 2001 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 6 December 2017.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "City of Darwin (C)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 6 December 2017.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "City of Darwin (C)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 6 December 2017.
- "Darwin's Sister Cities". Darwin City Council. Archived from the original on 18 February 2011. Retrieved 18 September 2010.