Clarence Greenwood (born May 20, 1968), also known by his stage name, Citizen Cope, is an American songwriter, producer and performer. His music is commonly described as a mix of blues, soul, folk, and rock. Citizen Cope's compositions have been recorded by Carlos Santana, Dido, Pharoahe Monch and Richie Havens. He currently records and produces for his own record label, Rainwater Recordings, which he founded in 2010. He had previously been signed to Capitol, Arista, DreamWorks and RCA. On March 1, 2019, he self-released his first album in six years, Heroin and Helicopters.
|Birth name||Clarence Greenwood|
|Born||May 20, 1968|
Memphis, Tennessee, U.S.
|Origin||Washington, D.C., U.S.|
|Genres||Alternative rock, soul|
|Labels||DreamWorks, Arista, RCA|
Greenwood was initially the DJ for Washington, D.C.-based alternative hip-hop group Basehead. He was signed to Capitol Records in 1997. In 2000, Citizen Cope signed with DreamWorks and released a self-titled album in 2002.
In 2004, he released The Clarence Greenwood Recordings, which he also produced. Every Waking Moment followed in 2006 (also self-produced), and debuted at #69 on the Billboard 200 chart. In 2010, Greenwood decided to establish his own record label, Rainwater Recordings. The move allowed him full creative control over his music and career. He released The Rainwater LP that year.
In November 2018, Greenwood announced his first album in six years, Heroin and Helicopters, arriving March 1, 2019. He released his first single from the album, "Justice," on November 30, 2018."
Songwriting and producingEdit
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Greenwood's work has been recorded by a number of musicians. In 2002, Santana recorded Cope's song "Sideways" for their Shaman album. He performed "Sideways" in concert with Santana on his 2003 European tour. Greenwood sang on and produced the track. Sheryl Crow asked to record the song in 2010 for her 100 Miles from Memphis album, and invited Greenwood to join her in concert on several occasions, including the Crossroads Guitar Festival in Chicago. At the same festival, Eric Clapton brought Greenwood onstage to perform "Hands of the Saints" together. Corey Taylor also recorded a version of the song. Brett Dennen recorded a version of the song "Healing Hands" for The Voice Project Presents Home Recordings Volume 1 in 2012.
In 2008, Greenwood wrote and recorded "Burnin' Love" with Dido for her Safe Trip Home album. That same year, Richie Havens released his version of "Hurricane Waters" and the hip-hop artist Rhymefest recorded "Bullet," featuring Greenwood.
His work appeared in a number of soundtracks to films including Trust the Man, Ghost Town, Coach Carter (2005 film), Accepted, The Lincoln Lawyer, and Fracture. His song "Bullet and a Target" appeared in 2006's The Sentinel, Alpha Dog as well as in the television show, Cold Case. Greenwood's songs have also been included on Scrubs, One Tree Hill, Entourage, So You Think You Can Dance, and Smallville. "One Lovely Day" appeared in the film Battleship.
- Cope Citizen (1992) (500 copies)
- Citizen Cope (2002)
- The Clarence Greenwood Recordings (2004)
- Every Waking Moment (2006) #69 U.S.
- The Rainwater LP (2010) #111 U.S., #10 U.S. Independent Albums
- One Lovely Day (2012) #39 U.S.
- Heroin and Helicopters (2019)
- Live at the World Café: Vol. 15 - Handcrafted (2002, World Café) - "If There's Love"
- Vocals on "Karma Police" from the Easy Star All-Stars album Radiodread, a complete reggae/dub cover of Radiohead's "OK Computer"
- Duet with Dido on "Burnin Love" from her album Safe Trip Home (2008)
- "Way Down in a Hole" - Tom Waits cover
- Guest vocals on "The Grand Illusion (Circa 1973)" for the album W.A.R. (We Are Renegades) by Pharoahe Monch
- Turntablism in "Let The Drummer Kick" by DJ JVC
- Vocals for the song "Muse" by G. Love & Special Sauce from the album Love Saves the Day (2015)
- "Citizen Cope". Last.fm. Retrieved 17 October 2013.
- Greg Prato. "Citizen Cope - Artist Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved 17 October 2013.
- "Citizen Cope Announces 1st Album In 7 Years, 'Heroin And Helicopters,' Out March 1st On Rainwater Recordings/Thirty Tigers". Music News Net. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- "Citizen Cope Biography". Artistdirect. Retrieved 17 October 2013.
- "New Single "One Lovely Day" Drop Tonight". Citizencope.com. Retrieved 2013-03-29.
- "Citizen Cope Swings For The Fences And Scores On 'Justice'". NPR.org. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- Oksenhorn, Stewart (September 3, 2009). "Citizen Cope takes the long view of making an album". The Aspen Times. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "Citizen Cope Interview". Surfer Magazine.
- "She-Alice Smith". Allmusic.com.
- "ON ALICE SMITH, HER BRILLIANCE, AND A NIGHT AT THE HAMILTON". Brightest Young Things.