Cinnamon Gardens (Sinhala:කුරුඳු වත්ත) is an affluent neighbourhood of Colombo, Sri Lanka located 3 kilometers south-east from Colombo's centre. Cinnamon Gardens is named from the former cinnamon plantation in this area. In the year 1789, there were 289 acres (1.17 km2) of cinnamon trees in the gardens.
Race Course Colombo seen along the Reid Avenue.
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (Sri Lanka Standard Time Zone)|
At present, Cinnamon Gardens is the location of the Prime Minister's Office, Independence Hall, Colombo Town Hall and National Museum as well as numerous foreign embassies and high commissions, located down streets lined with fine trees and mansions that are home to the country’s elite.
It is also the location of the Colombo Department of Meteorology and its observatory.
Cinnamon Gardens is a multi-religious and multi-ethnic area. The major ethnic communities in Cinnamon Gardens are Sinhalese and Tamils. Ethnic minorities include Burghers and Sri Lankan Moors. Religions include Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Christianity and various other religions and beliefs to a lesser extent.
Places of interestEdit
- High commission of Australia
- High commission of Canada
- Royal Embassy of Netherlands
- High commission of South Africa
- Embassy of Iran
- Embassy of China
- Embassy of Vietnam
- Embassy of Qatar
- Embassy of the Republic of France
- Embassy of Indonesia
- Embassy of Japan
- Embassy of Kuwait
- Embassy of Myanmar
- Royal Norwegian Embassy
- Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan
- Consulate General of the Philippines
- Embassy of Romania
- Embassy of Russia
- Embassy of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Embassy of Switzerland
- Embassy of the United Arab Emirates
- High commission of the United Kingdom
- Royal Embassy of Thailand
- High commission of Bangladesh
- Embassy of Brazil
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-03-01. Retrieved 2009-03-15.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Buddhist Ladies' College 56th Founder's Day Archived 2013-02-19 at Archive.today
- Thurstan College Cricket ground in Colombo 7
- Thurstan College Ground
|This Western Province, Sri Lanka location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|