Cinema of Switzerland
The film industry based in Switzerland dates to the 1930s. It is influenced by the neighboring countries of France, Germany and Italy, with which it shares languages. Before the mid-1960s Swiss films were often sentimental, but the French New Wave led to more experimental cinema.
|Cinema of Switzerland|
|No. of screens||547 (2011)|
|• Per capita||7.7 per 100,000 (2011)|
|Main distributors||United International Pictures (Schweiz) Gmbh 19.0%|
Walt Disney Studio (Schweiz) Ag 18.1%
Warner Bros. Pictures 15.8%
|Produced feature films (2011)|
|Number of admissions (2011)|
|• Per capita||2 (2012)|
|National films||637,554 (4.3%)|
|Gross box office (2011)|
|Total||CHF 231 million|
|National films||CHF 9.06 million (3.9%)|
In German-speaking cantons, French-language films usually have German subtitles. Likewise, in French-speaking cantons, German-language films usually have French subtitles. Adult-oriented films in foreign languages are often screened with original audio and double subtitles in German and French. Children-oriented films in foreign languages are usually dubbed.
- Richard Dembo
- Tim Fehlbaum
- Marcel Gisler
- Jean-Luc Godard
- Claude Goretta
- Xavier Koller
- Markus Imhoof
- Leopold Lindtberg
- Fredi Murer
- Dominique Othenin-Girard
- Franz Schnyder
- Alain Tanner
- Yves Yersin
Notes and referencesEdit
- "Table 8: Cinema Infrastructure - Capacity". UNESCO Institute for Statistics. Archived from the original on 24 December 2018. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- "Table 6: Share of Top 3 distributors (Excel)". UNESCO Institute for Statistics. Archived from the original on 17 January 2014. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- "Table 1: Feature Film Production - Genre/Method of Shooting". UNESCO Institute for Statistics. Archived from the original on 5 November 2013. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- "Country Profiles". Europa Cinemas. Archived from the original on 9 November 2013. Retrieved 9 November 2013.
- "Table 11: Exhibition - Admissions & Gross Box Office (GBO)". UNESCO Institute for Statistics. Archived from the original on 24 December 2018. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- Statistik Schweiz - Die erfolgreichsten Schweizer Filme Archived 2012-11-17 at the Wayback Machine. Bfs.admin.ch (2014-04-30). Retrieved on 2014-05-12.
- (in French) Olivier Moeschler, Cinéma suisse. Une politique culturelle en action : l'État, les professionnels, les publics, Presses polytechniques et universitaires romandes, collection "Le savoir suisse", 2011.
- Swiss Films
- Swiss DVD
- artfilm.ch Swiss Films in the theatres, television, DVD and VOD
- Swiss Film Directory
- All Swiss Films since 1896