Priscilla E. (Cindy) Greenwood (born 1937) is a Canadian mathematician who is a professor emeritus of mathematics at the University of British Columbia. She is known for her research in probability theory.
Education and careerEdit
Greenwood graduated from Duke University with a B.A. in 1959. She began her graduate studies in operations research at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where she became exposed to probability theory through a course on stochastic processes offered in 1960 by Henry McKean. Soon afterwards, she switched to the University of Wisconsin–Madison, where she completed her Ph.D. in 1963 under the supervision of Joshua Chover. She taught for two years at North Carolina College before moving to the University of British Columbia in 1966. She has also been associated with Arizona State University, as a visiting professor from 2000 to 2003 and since 2004 as a research professor.
Greenwood's research in the 1970s concerned Brownian motion, Lévy processes, and Wiener–Hopf factorization. During this method she developed the theory of the martintote, a process similar to a martingale used to study asymptotic properties of processes.
In the 1980s Greenwood began working with Ed Perkins on nonstandard analysis, which they used to study local time and excursions. In this timeframe she also began working on set-indexed processes, a topic that would lead her to the theory of random fields, and on semimartingales. She traveled to Russia, and wrote a monograph on chi-squared tests with Mikhail Nikulin.
In 1990 she and Igor Evstigneev wrote a second monograph, on random fields. Her research in this period also concerned metric entropy and asymptotic efficiency. She began her work in biostatistics, involving studies of different mammalian populations, and led a major study on statistical estimation near critical points of a parameter.
Awards and honoursEdit
- Contiguity and the statistical invariance principle (with A. N. Shiryayev, Gordon & Breach, 1985)
- Markov fields over countable partially ordered sets: extrema and splitting (with I. V. Evstigneev, Memoirs of the American Mathematical Society 112, American Mathematical Society, 1994)
- A guide to chi-squared testing (with Mikhail S. Nikulin, Wiley, 1996)
- Stochastic neuron models (with Lawrence M. Ward, Mathematical Biosciences Institute Lecture Series, Springer, 2016)
- Birth year from Library of Congress catalog entry, retrieved 2018-12-07.
- Faculty directory, UBC Mathematics, retrieved 2015-08-16.
- Evstigneev, I. V.; Bingham, N. H. (2008), "Priscilla Greenwood: Queen of Probability", Stochastics, 80 (2–3): 103–113, arXiv:0712.3459, doi:10.1080/17442500801886176. Reprinted in Stochastics: A Festschrift for Priscilla Greenwood, IMS Lecture Note Series 57A, Institute of Mathematical Statistics.
- Cindy Greenwood at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Reviews of Contiguity and the statistical invariance principle:
- Eagleson, G. K. (1987), Mathematical Reviews, MR 0822226CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Stoyanov, Jordan M. (September 1987), Canadian Journal of Statistics, 15 (3): 302–304, doi:10.2307/3314923, JSTOR 3314923CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Feigin, Paul D. (December 1987), Journal of the American Statistical Association, 82 (400): 1195, doi:10.1080/01621459.1987.10478556, JSTOR 2289428CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Review of Markov fields over countable partially ordered sets:
- Reviews of A guide to chi-squared testing:
- Jammalamadaka, S. Rao (1997), Mathematical Reviews, MR 1379800CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Antoch, J. (February 1997), Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, 23 (4): 565–566, doi:10.1016/s0167-9473(97)84761-5CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Koehler, Kenneth (June 1997), Journal of the American Statistical Association, 92 (438): 793–794, doi:10.2307/2965733, JSTOR 2965733CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Lachenbruch, Peter A. (October 1997), Statistics in Medicine, 16 (19): 2263–2265, doi:10.1002/(SICI)1097-0258(19971015)16:19<2263::AID-SIM652>3.0.CO;2-7CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Lawrence, John (October 1997), Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, 64 (1): 157–158, doi:10.1016/s0378-3758(97)00101-8CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- King, Terry (November 1997), Technometrics, 39 (4): 431, doi:10.1080/00401706.1997.10485175, JSTOR 1271520CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Prys-Williams, Allan G. (1998), Journal of the Royal Statistical Society. Series D (The Statistician), 47 (2): 396, JSTOR 2988683CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Best, J. (March 1998), Biometrics, 54 (1): 392–393, doi:10.2307/2534027, JSTOR 2534027CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)