Christopher L. Eisgruber
Christopher Ludwig Eisgruber (born September 24, 1961) is an American legal scholar who is serving as the 20th and current President of Princeton University, where he is also the Laurance S. Rockefeller Professor of Public Affairs in the Princeton School of Public and International Affairs and the University Center for Human Values.
Christopher L. Eisgruber
Eisgruber in 2014
|20th President of Princeton University|
|Assumed office |
July 1, 2013
|Preceded by||Shirley M. Tilghman|
Christopher Ludwig Eisgruber
September 24, 1961
Lafayette, Indiana, U.S.
|Residence||Princeton, New Jersey, U.S.|
|Alma mater||Princeton University (AB)|
University of Oxford (MLitt)
University of Chicago (JD)
Eisgruber graduated magna cum laude from Princeton University in 1983, receiving an AB in physics and was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa. He completed his senior thesis, titled "The global implications of local violations of the energy conditions", under the supervision of Malcolm Perry; his thesis addressed topics in the theory of general relativity. He also studied political theory with Jeffrey K. Tulis. During his junior year at Princeton, he was a member of the Elm Club. In 1987, he received an MLitt in politics from Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar, and he earned a JD cum laude from the University of Chicago Law School in 1988, where he served as editor-in-chief of the University of Chicago Law Review.
Following his graduation from law school, Eisgruber served as law clerk to Judge Patrick Higginbotham of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit and then Justice John Paul Stevens of the Supreme Court of the United States.
After clerking, Eisgruber taught at New York University Law School for eleven years, from 1990 to 2001, before coming to Princeton. From 2001 to 2004, Eisgruber was the director of Princeton's Program in Law and Public Affairs. He served as the provost of Princeton from 2004 to 2013.
Eisgruber has served on several boards, including the academic advisory board of Coursera, a provider of massive open online courses; the Board of Trustees of the Educational Testing Service; the Board of Trustees of Princeton University Press; the Board of Trustees of ITHAKA and Artstor; and the Board of Directors of Liulishuo. He is also a steering committee member of the American Talent Initiative and a member of the Global University Leaders Forum of the World Economic Forum.
Eisgruber was formally installed as Princeton's 20th president on September 22, 2013. Eisgruber is the first Princeton president who received his undergraduate degree from the university since Robert Goheen, who served from 1957 to 1972.
His wife, Lori A. Martin, is a partner in the New York office of the law firm WilmerHale, and they have a son, Danny, who is 18 years old and a freshman at the University of Chicago as of September 2016.
Eisgruber was raised Catholic and married his wife in an Episcopal church. While helping his son, then in the fourth grade, with a school project, he discovered that his Berlin-born mother, who had arrived in New York as an eight-year-old refugee, was Jewish. Today, Eisgruber identifies as a nontheist Jew. His wife is Episcopalian. In 2009, a Holocaust claims tribunal awarded Eisgruber and his three sisters 162,500 Swiss francs, representing the value of the bank account of their maternal great-grandfather, Salomon Kalisch.
- The Next Justice: Repairing the Supreme Court Appointments Process (2007)
- Religious Freedom and the Constitution, with Lawrence G. Sager (2007)
- Global Justice and the Bulwarks of Localism: Human Rights in Context, ed. with Andras Sajo (2005)
- Constitutional Self-Government (2001)
- Lorin, Janet (2013-04-21). "Princeton Names Insider Provost Eisgruber as Next President". Businessweek. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- "Claims Resolution Tribunal : Certified Award to Claimant Christopher Ludwig Eisgruber also acting on behalf of Ingrid Lynn Repins, Michelle Sharon Stephens, and Karen Margaret Eisgruber in re Account of Salomon Kalisch" (PDF). Crt-ii.org. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- "Christopher L. Eisgruber, President | Office of the President". president.princeton.edu. Retrieved 2020-05-11.
- Ryan Hutchins. "Princeton University names new president, appoints provost Christopher Eisgruber new leader". NJ.com. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- "Princeton University - Christopher L. Eisgruber named 20th president of Princeton University". Princeton.edu. 2013-04-21. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- "Christopher L. Eisgruber | Program in Law and Public Affairs | Princeton University". Lapa.princeton.edu. Retrieved 2015-02-25.
- "Princeton Alumni Weekly: Christopher L. Eisgruber '83". Paw.princeton.edu. 2013-04-23. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- Eisgruber, Christopher L. (1983). The global implications of local violations of the energy conditions. Princeton, NJ: Department of Physics.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20130501032808/http://dailyprincetonian.com/2013/04/21/33261/. Archived from the original on May 1, 2013. Retrieved February 4, 2016. Missing or empty
- "Christopher L. Eisgruber : CV". Lapa.princeton.edu. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- "Christopher L. Eisgruber - Office of the President". Princeton University. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "Eisgruber installed as Princeton's 20th president". New Jersey Herald. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- Hebel, Sara (2013-04-21). "Princeton Names Its Provost as Its Next President - Leadership & Governance - The Chronicle of Higher Education". The Chronicle of Higher Education. Chronicle.com. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- "Eisgruber". Princeton University. Retrieved 2020-03-20.
- "Christopher L. Eisgruber". American Academy of Arts & Sciences. Retrieved 2020-05-11.
- "Eisgruber Installed As Princeton's 20th President « CBS Philly". Philadelphia.cbslocal.com. 2013-09-22. Retrieved 2013-11-08.
- [dead link]
- "Princeton University names CHS alum as its next president". Corvallis Gazette-Times. Corvallis Gazette-Times. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- "Eisgruber Takes Charge". Princeton Alumni Weekly. 2016-01-21. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- "10 things You Don't Know About Chris Eisgruber '83". 2013-04-05.
- "Lori A. Martin". WilmerHale. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- Princeton president uncovers family secret - that he is Jewish
- Cohen, Debra Nussbaum (July 2013). "Princeton president uncovers family secret - that he is Jewish". Haaretz. Haaretz.com. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- "Chris Eisgruber, '88: Selection Process Improvement | University of Chicago Law School". Law.uchicago.edu. 2009-10-08. Archived from the original on 2013-05-13. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
Shirley M. Tilghman
| President of Princeton University
| Provost of Princeton University
David S. Lee